There's such a wonderful comment on yesterday's post that I wanted to
bring attention to it (slightly modified to apply to all genres). Thank you, Banana the Poet (aka Michele Breton)! Follow her on Twitter or visit her site.
Simple Checklist for Getting Known, Getting Readers, Building Platform
- Blog your work and gather readers (Michele blogged for three years)
- Contribute & comment regularly on blogs and sites (like Writer's Digest Poetic Asides prompt challenges)
- Start publishing company (optional, but great route for poets)
- Release poetry book (possible to accomplish for free and with little or no technical expertise, through services like Smashwords, Lulu, Scribd)
- Format for Kindle and release
- Get onto the Barnes & Noble Nook system
- Ask hubby to turn my book into an iPhone application
What other steps would you add, or have you found to be critical?