[MAY 2015 UPDATE: Monica moved from LDA to Bradford Literary in
May 2015. Her updated submission guidelines are below.]
Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Monica Odom of Liza Dawson Associates) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Monica: Associate Agent Monica Odom joined Liza Dawson Associates in 2010. She is also the agency's manager of finance and social media. Monica graduated summa cum laude with a B.A. in English from Montclair State University, and is now a candidate for her Masters in Publishing from New York University. Prior to joining LDA, Monica interned at Joelle Delbourgo Associates, New Jersey Business Magazine, and MTV Networks' Public Affairs department. Find her on Twitter. In her free time, Monica can most often be found with her nose in a book (or handheld screen), unless she is catering to the various and extensive needs of her spoiled-rotten cats, Sam and Luna.
She is seeking: Monica is building her client list with a focus on literary fiction, women's fiction and voice-driven memoir, as well as a focus on nonfiction in the areas of pop culture, food and cooking, history, politics, and current affairs. Monica is looking for writers with big ideas who push the boundaries of storytelling and its traditional forms. She is especially interested in writers with strong platforms who have something original to say.
How to submit: [UPDATED IN MAY 2015] Monica just moved to Bradford Literary, and her exact submission instructions can be found here.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19–21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- "The Book Chooses the Writer" -- Here's Why.
- Agent William Callahan of Waxman Leavell Seeks New Clients Now.
- Learn About a Writing Retreat in Europe.
- Author Sandi Tan Explains How Patience is Your #1 Tool.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Writer Platform.
- 10 Reasons Picture Books Are Not Just For Kids.
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.