Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Gill McLay of Bath Literary Agency) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Gill: Gill graduated with a Publishing and Marketing degree from Oxford Brookes University in 1996. She has worked with a wide variety of small independent publishers and large global publishers, including Barefoot Books and Egmont. She has experience with all of the different roles and sectors in the world of children’s books.
[Editor's note from Chuck: Gill is based in the UK. Nowhere on her website does she specifically say she is open or closed to American writers, but I will say that I looked at several of her client bios, and every one of them were UK-based, and note how Gill also only takes snail mail submissions. So while that does not close her off to US-based submissions, per se, I would say her track record definitely favors UK writers and illustrators, for what it's worth before you submit.]
Writing books/novels for kids & teens? There are hundreds
of publishers, agents and other markets listed in the
latest Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market.
Buy it online at a discount.
She is seeking: children’s books -- fiction and nonfiction submissions, from picture books through young adult.
How to submit: Submissions are only accepted by snail mail. Send to Gill McLay, Submissions, Bath Literary Agency, 5 Gloucester Road, Bath, BA1 7BH, United Kingdom. Include a synopsis, the first 3 chapters of fiction (for YA or MG), and the full manuscript for picture books, a cover letter, and an SAE.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19-21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.