Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Fiona Kenshole of Transatlantic Agency) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Fiona: Fiona Kenshole brings a lifetime of passion and experience of children's and YA books to Transatlantic Literary: she was still just a teen when she started working in a children’s bookshop. After graduating with a Masters in English Literature from Cambridge University, she went on to spend 20 years as a senior publisher holding key positions in the UK, as Publishing Director at Oxford University Press Children’s Books, Deputy Managing Director of Hodder Children’s Books and Editorial Director at HarperCollins. Her authors have won or been nominated for every major British children’s literary award. Several have become million copy bestsellers. Fiona was nominated for “Editor of the Year” at the British Book Awards. Fiona has lectured widely on children’s books including at Oxford and Cambridge Universities and taught publishing to Masters degree students at Oxford Brookes University. She is herself a published author. She has organized children’s events for the Sunday Times Oxford Literary Festival.
She is seeking: "I am looking for all kidlit categories from picture book to YA. I've been a publisher in all these areas and my enthusiasm for all categories continues! For picture books, I'm especially interested in talented author/illustrators. In middle grade and chapter books, I like stories that make me laugh, or real children in magical circumstances (Savvy by Ingrid Law) and I love animal stories; In YA, above all else I look for a captivating and distinctive voice.
"I'm also happy to look at both literary and commercial fiction. I love a great piece of chick lit.
"I'm not looking for rhyming picture book texts, poetry, faith-based stories, or vampires, paranormal or sword-and-sorcery fantasy."
How to submit: E-query fiona [at] transatlanticagency.com and write the word "Query" in the subject line. "Please send me the first three chapters plus a detailed synopsis and a biography in the body of an email. Illustrators should include one jpeg only or a dropbox link to their work. I will usually reply within 8 weeks of submission. Please let me know if the work is on submission to other agents, including other Transatlantic agents."
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19–21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
Writing books/novels for kids & teens? There are hundreds
of publishers, agents and other markets listed in the
latest Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market.
Buy it online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- 11 Questions About Money, Book Royalties, Advances and More.
- Who Is Your Target Reader?
- Literary Agent Interview: Nicole Resciniti of The Seymour Agency.
- How to Start Your Novel.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Writer Platform.
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.