Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Lauren MacLeod of the Strothman Agency) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Lauren: She joined the Strothman Agency after graduating cum laude from Emerson College with a BFA in Writing, Literature and Publishing.
She is seeking: middle grade novels, young adult fiction and nonfiction, as well as highly polished literary fiction and narrative nonfiction. Some of her favorite (non-client) YA authors are Meg Rosoff, Maureen Johnson and John Green. Specifically, she's looking for contemporary YA & MG, narrative nonfiction for young adults, graphic novels, YA Dystopian with strong world-building, and adult trade nonfiction on quirky subjects or people. She is currently especially drawn to YA & MG projects with humorous situations or funny characters.
Flooded with: "Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Historical Fiction, Tragedy Memoirs."
How to contact: Do not send entire manuscripts unless requested. E-queries accepted, strothmanagency (at) gmail (dot) com. Include a query, synopsis, and (for fiction) 2-10 pages. No attachments please. "If we have not replied to your query within six weeks, we do not feel that it is right for us." Snail submissions accepted, too: The Strothman Agency, LLC, 6 Beacon Street, Suite 810, Boston MA 02108 and include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers' Conferences:
- Oct. 28–30, 2016: Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference (Los Angeles, CA)
- Nov. 19, 2016: Las Vegas Writing Workshop (Las Vegas, NV)
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- Feb. 26–March 3, 2017: Writers Winter Escape Cruise (conference/cruise departing Miami)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- July 22, 2017: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- Literary Agent Seeking Science Fiction and Fantasy: Lucienne Diver of The Knight Agency.
- The 7 Deadly Sins of Paranormal Romance.
- How to Keep Readers Turning the Pages.
- 5 Ways to Increase Conflict in Your Story.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Author Platform.
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.