Editor's note: In June 2011, Kathleen moved
to the Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. Updated
submission guidelines are below.------------------
Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Kathleen Rushall of Waterside Productions) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Kathleen: She is a new literary agent building her client list at Waterside Productions (and now Marsal Lyon Literary). Kathleen entered the publishing world with an internship at the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency, and from there she started at Waterside Productions in 2009 as a literary assistant. She has her MA in English with a specialization in children's literature. To learn more about what she's looking for, check out her interview on the young adult lit blog, Love YA.
She is seeking: YA and MG fiction across the board (historical fiction, science fiction, mystery, humor, fantasy, romance, thriller, and horror), picture books, and adult nonfiction (business, parenting, how-to, women's interest, humor, health, crafts).
How to submit: You can send your electronic submissions to her at firstname.lastname@example.org. For fiction submissions, please write "QUERY" in the subject line of the e-mail and include your query letter with the first 10 pages of your work in the body of your e-mail. For nonfiction submissions, please e-mail her your query letter and your complete proposal as an attachment.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers' Conferences:
- Oct. 28–30, 2016: Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference (Los Angeles, CA)
- Nov. 19, 2016: Las Vegas Writing Workshop (Las Vegas, NV)
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- Feb. 26–March 3, 2017: Writers Winter Escape Cruise (conference/cruise departing Miami)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- July 22, 2017: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- How to Create a Writer Blog.
- Agent Interview: Sandy Lu of L. Perkins Associates Represents Many Fiction Genres.
- "How I Got My Agent" - Kody Keplinger (THE DUFF) Tells Her Tale.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Writer Platform.
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.