Reminder: New literary agents (with this spotlight featuring Joan Slattery of Pippin Properties) are golden opportunities for new writers because each one is a literary agent who is likely building his or her client list.
About Joan: Joan Slattery joined Pippin Properties in November of 2010 as an agent and contracts manager. After nearly twenty years in children's book publishing, most recently as senior executive editor at Knopf Books for Young Readers (Random House), Joan is thrilled to be working with authors and artists from this new vantage point.
She is seeking: She's particularly interested in middle grade and young adult fiction, which harkens back to one of her most voracious and memorable years of reading: sixth grade.
How to contact: E-mail a query letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a synopsis of the work(s), your background and/or publishing history, and anything else you think is relevant. "If you don't hear from us within three weeks, please understand that we are not the right agency to represent your work at this time. If we do request additional material, we would appreciate the exclusive opportunity to review it for one month.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers' Conferences:
- Oct. 28–30, 2016: Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference (Los Angeles, CA)
- Nov. 19, 2016: Las Vegas Writing Workshop (Las Vegas, NV)
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- Feb. 26–March 3, 2017: Writers Winter Escape Cruise (conference/cruise departing Miami)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- July 22, 2017: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- NEW literary agent seeking clients: Jennifer Udden of Donald Maass Literary.
- Why Bold Writing Will Get You Published.
- Agent Elena Mechlin of Pippin Properties Seeks Children's Books.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Writer Platform.
- The Value of "Show, Don't Tell" in Your Writing.
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.