Today I gave an online class on how writers can succeed in an ever-shifting publishing landscape. To help those students—as well as all of you—I'm providing what I consider the most helpful information sources that offer forward-thinking views for people trying to stay ahead of the curve.
These sites should help ensure your successful career, no matter what the fate of traditional publishing and media … although it may be like turning on a firehose if you start reading all these sites at once.
The future of media/publishing (news, trends, opinions)
- Digital Book World, with free online weekly roundtables discussing issues of the day
- Mike Shatzkin's blog, one of the most well-known publishing futurists
- Magellan Media's Brian O'Leary
- Clay Shirky, a tremendous thinker
- Dan Blank, showing how it's done
Marketing, community building, audience development
- Seth Godin's blog, marketing and life
- Chris Brogan, one of the first and best for online community building
- FeverBee, information about online communities
Write better (or blog better) for online sites and audiences
Live up to your full potential and/or offer a better product/experience
Stay up-to-date on the tech world
The book you need
- Get Known Before the Book Deal by Christina Katz (online and offline platform building), be sure to bookmark Katz's site, too.
Author presences (or models) to check out
Would you prefer a curated version of all this?
Follow my shared items in Google Reader. I read these sites and share only the articles that I find most helpful or significant.
Have your own resources to share?
Let's see them in the comments! I'm always discovering new things and love to forage for