Editor’s Note: The following content is provided to Writer’s Digest by a writing community partner. This content is sponsored by American Writers & Artists Inc. www.awaionline.com.
It’s true—you CAN make a living as a writer! AWAI has been teaching people how to do it since 1997.
And I’m happy to announce we’re now able to share our tips, techniques and strategies directly with Writer’s Digest readers through our new blog �� How to Make a Living as a Writer.
My name is Rebecca Matter. I’m the President of AWAI, and have personally worked with and trained hundreds of writers over the last 15 years. I have a lot of experience helping writers cross over from dreaming about the writer’s life—to actually living it. And I’m going to share what I know works with you each week, so that you too can start living the life of your dreams.
I won’t be alone …
Along the way I’m going to invite many of the AWAI-trained writers I know who have successfully made the leap and are living the writer’s life too. People like:
- Pat McCord, a once struggling novelist who learned to support herself and her creative passion doing what she loves …
- Starr Daubenmire, who fulfilled a life-long dream by moving to Lucca, Italy for 3 months, and spent her mornings writing and her afternoons painting …
- Joshua Boswell, a father of 11, who put his nose to the grindstone and earned a six-figure income 11 months after he started out …
- Mindy McHorse, a young stay-at-home mom who spends her days with her kids in the Albuquerque sunshine while writing on the side …
- Henry Bingaman, an ex-flight attendant who ditched his crazy work hours to write — and like Joshua, quickly set up shop and skyrocketed his income to six figures …
- And Rae Robinson – a writer who found us through Writer’s Digest when she was in college and has doubled her income every year since she graduated just 3 years ago.
They’ll participate in this blog to bring you different perspectives, and share their “life in the trenches” as successful working writers.
We’ll talk about the best paying opportunities for writers, skills and techniques for writing winning copy and online content, best practices for landing clients who value writers and are willing to pay them well, and how to successfully work with clients to ensure long-term relationships with more and more opportunities.
So check in weekly, and let my team of experts and me help you live the writer’s life of your dreams.
In the meantime, I encourage you to spend some time today thinking about what your version of the writer’s life looks like. What would it mean to make a very good living as a writer? How would your life be different? How would you spend your free time and extra money?
Give it some thought and write it down. It will become your goal as you participate in this weekly blog.
And if you have any questions for me in the meantime, I invite you to connect with me on Facebook.
Talk to you next week!