• Option 1: Author self-publishes her work on her own website, blog or social network, and makes it available in any digital format she wishes, either viewable on the site or through a download (e.g., a PDF file).
• Option 2: Author contracts with an online publishing service to host and sell her work in digital formats (anything from a PDF file to an e-book file). Some services can also make a print-on-demand version available.
• Some authors undertake a combination of both options.
A Breakdown of Different Types of Self-Publishing:
INDEPENDENT SELF-PUBLISHING (Go Your Own Way)
SELF-PUBLISHING WITH HELP (Use a Service)
TRADITIONAL PRINT RUN / PRINT-ON-DEMAND (Create a Physical Book)
- The Truth About Self-Publishing
- The Reality of Self-Pubishing: An Agent’s Perspective
- What Can Your Publisher Do for You?
- Book Publishing Stats (2009)
- An Insider's Look at Self-Publishing
- How to Create a Cover Package
- 2009 Directory of Self-Publishing Companies
- Future Self-Publishing Models?