Prompt: Write the opening sentence (just one sentence), of 25 words or fewer, to a story based on the photo above. You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story.
Thanks to everyone who entered and/or voted in WD’s Your Story 86! Here are the results. The top 10 winners are as follows:
1. As she watched his shadow dance between the trees, the girl never could have guessed the boy was dead.
(B.E. Van de Veire)
2. Lisetta was startled at how the trees appeared so much taller, stronger, more vibrant, than they did from her window in the asylum.
3. Though taller and warmer, she still felt like the cold, confused little girl with panicked eyes found clinging to a tree trunk 10 years earlier.
4. The wolf never came.
5. She breathed in the mossy loam of the French forest that buried her ancestors a century ago, her crimson coat echoing their shed blood.
6. Even a year after her encounter with the wolf, for Red the nightmares continued.
7. Suffocated by what she saw hanging in the tree, Stephanie took an involuntary step back, knowing she had caused it.
8. The scientists had done an amazing job, but she would have given anything to be standing in a forest on Earth.
9. Frost was wrong.
10. I’ve often felt alone, abandoned, but I didn’t truly know what solitude was until everyone I knew was turned into a tree.