Readers of my blog know that I constantly feature new literary agents who are seeking clients and queries. Occasionally, I also spotlight established agents who put out a call for submissions, and that's what's happening this week. Meet agent Andy Ross of The Andy Ross Agency, who has put out a call for new queries.
About Andy: "I opened my literary agency in 2008. I am a member of the Association of Author Representatives (AAR). Prior to agenting, I was the owner of the legendary Cody's Books in Berkeley for 30 years. During that time, I sold more than 10 million books and hosted over 5,000 events for some of the world’s greatest authors. In 1989, Cody’s was fire bombed, probably in retaliation for the store featuring Salman Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses. This made us the first victim of international terrorism in The United States, which goes to show that bookselling can be a dangerous business. We never stopped selling the book." You can visit his "Ask the Agent" blog.
He is seeking: "My agency represents books in a wide range of subjects including: narrative nonfiction, science, journalism, history, current events, and fiction. For nonfiction, I look for writing with a strong voice, robust arc, and books that tell a big story about culture and society by authors with the authority to write about their subject. I am also seeking works of literary, commercial, and young adult fiction. I like stories about real people in the real world. No vampires and trolls, thank you very much."
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers' Conferences:
- Oct. 28–30, 2016: Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference (Los Angeles, CA)
- Nov. 19, 2016: Las Vegas Writing Workshop (Las Vegas, NV)
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- Feb. 26–March 3, 2017: Writers Winter Escape Cruise (conference/cruise departing Miami)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- July 22, 2017: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- 5 Things Writers Need to Do Besides Write.
- It Isn't a Bad Thing to Inform Readers Through Your Fiction.
- How Author Julie Kibler Met Agent Elisabeth Weed.
- Ever Want to Adapt Your Own Novel Into a Screenplay? 7 Starting Tips.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Writer Platform.
- Meet Dog Book Author Kim Kavin (the acclaimed MY BOY BLUE).
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.