1. Open a new Word document.
2. Save it as tentative book title.
3. Wonder if any other books have this title
4. Check Twitter.
5. Google tentative book title.
6. Feel relieved that you're somewhat original...
7. Type the title and "Chapter One" in Word document.
8. Check e-mail.
9. Check Facebook.
10. Stare at blinking cursor in Word document.
11. Check latest favorite blogs & tumblrs.
12. Type first sentence.
13. Click "save."
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers' Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19-21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- July 22, 2017: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
14. Feel accomplished.
15. Feel thirsty.
16. Refill water glass.
17. Check Twitter.
18. Click on five different-yet-equally-inane HuffPo links.
19. Stare at blinking cursor after first sentence.
20. Realize that, though this is the third novel you've written, you've completely forgotten the principles on how to successfully start a novel.
21. Write blog post about it.
22. Type second sentence?
Want to build your visibility and sell more books?
Create Your Writer Platform shows you how to
promote yourself and your books through social
media, public speaking, article writing, branding,
and more. Order the book from WD at a discount.
Other writing/publishing articles & links for you:
- How to Write Your First Novel: 6 Pieces of Advice.
- The Importance of Setting in Your Fiction.
- NEW Literary Agent Seeking Writers: Claire Dunnington of Vicky Bijur Literary.
- How to Write a Plan a Book Series.
- Sell More Books by Building Your Author Platform.
- Follow Chuck Sambuchino on Twitter or find him on Facebook. Learn all about his writing guides on how to get published, how to find a literary agent, and how to write a query letter.