On Writing Romance
How to Craft a Novel That Sells
by Leigh Michaels
Writer's Digest Books, 2007
$16.99 paperback, 272 pages
About the Book
In On Writing Romance, award-winning romance novelist Leigh Michaels talks you through each stage of the writing and publishing process. From the origins and evolution of the romance novel to establishing a vital story framework to writing that last line to seeking out appropriate publishers, everything you ever wanted to know about writing a romance novel is here.
In addition to a comprehensive breakdown of more than thirty romance subgenres, including such categories as historical, inspirational, Regency, and sweet traditional, you’ll discover how to:
- Steer clear of clichés and stereotypes by studying the genre
- Craft engaging and realistic heroes and heroines readers will adore
- Convincingly develop the central couple’s blossoming relationship
- Add conflict by utilizing essential secondary characters like the “other woman”
- Use tension and timing to make your love scenes sizzle with sensuality
- Get your characters to happily-ever-after with an ending readers will always remember
Plus, read a sample query letter, cover letter, and synopsis, and learn how to properly prepare your romance novel for submission to agents and editors. On Writing Romance has everything you need to leave readers swooning!