Buy book | Amazon | BN.com
I'm an English Major—Now What?
How English Majors Can Find Happiness, Success, and a Real Job
by Timothy Lemire
Writer's Digest Books, 2006
$14.99 paperback, 240 pages
About the Book
What do Steven Spielberg, Alan Alda, Barbara Walters, Clarence Thomas, Diane Sawyer, and Stephen King all have in common? That’s right—they were all English majors who now have successful careers.
I’m an English Major—Now What? Helps English majors and graduates better understand their skills and talents in order to find satisfying jobs across a wide range of fields. It also dispels the common fear and misconception that English majors never make good money. To spare you the shock and surprise about certain fields—and to help you avoid a seat-of-the-pants approach to job hunting—you’ll learn how to:
- Market your English major successfully
- Apply your skills to an array of exciting jobs (beyond teaching and writing)
- Develop valuable skills and experience through school and extracurricular activities
You’ll also find answers to common questions such as:
- Should I go to graduate school? Should I wait?
- How does one become a freelance writer?
- Would I do well in a corporate setting?
After graduating with a degree in English, author Tim Lemire put his education to work in a variety of exciting fields, including corporate communications, journalism, publishing, teaching, and writing. In this guide, he shares that experience, plus you’ll find more than a dozen interviews with other English majors who translated their skills in to satisfying careers.