This new series is called "Successful Queries" and I'm posting actual query letters that succeeded in getting writers signed with agents. In addition to posting the actual query letter, we will also get to hear thoughts from the agent as to why the letter worked.
Dear Mr. Fraser:
Floe Ryan is a cryogenically preserved Venice Beach teen who is thawed ten years from now, and suddenly has to adjust to being the ward of her younger (now older) sister, while crushing on the boy from the vat next door, and, oh, adjusting to a whole new world. (Ashton Kutcher as vice president, anyone?)
I Was a Teenage Popsicle is a 60,000-word young adult novel. I am a former romance editor and a twice-published romance author. My latest romantic comedy, Wanted: An Interesting Life (Harlequin Flipside, 2004), was cited by Romantic Times Magazine as one of the five best Flipsides of 2004.
Aside from I Was a Teenage Popsicle and its potential sequel, I am also working on a young adult novel called Retest, about a teen who finds herself reliving a test day over and over again.
You can contact me at any time. I do hope my book premises intrigue you! I look forward to hearing from you.
Bev Kate Rosenbaum
Commentary from Stephen
Bev's letter jumps right in and she starts with the pitch. It’s a short, enticing summary of the book that gives us an idea of what the whole story will be about.
Mentioning the word count shows she knows appropriate length for YA books. I also liked how the book works as a standalone or in a series.
She's been published before and has impressive credentials. She has other projects in the works and is interested in working on her craft.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19-21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
Writing books/novels for kids & teens? There are hundreds
of publishers, agents and other markets listed in the
latest Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market.
Buy it online at a discount.