As you can imagine, I do a LOT of online reading, across hundreds of sites and blogs. To manage it all, I do 2 things:
- I use Google Reader, which is an RSS reader. See here to learn how and why to use it, for free.
- I use the PostRank extension for Google Reader. PostRank helps me see which posts are most popular (and perhaps important) for me to read/review.
Here's what my Google Reader looks like WITHOUT PostRank.
And here's what it looks like WITH PostRank.
- Many professionals use RSS readers (and/or Twitter) to keep on top of important online posts & articles. This makes your article/post headlines incredibly important!
- You can use Google Reader as a social networking & conversation tool by following what other people share/comment on in the Reader. (See Guy Gonzalez up there in "People I Follow"!)
- You can add Twitter feeds to Google Reader, too. (Just paste in the Twitter user URL into the subscription feed box, e.g., http://twitter.com/janefriedman.)
- Keep up with my Shared Items even if you don't use Google Reader.
Do you have any tips to share to streamline online reading? Leave them in the comments!