Image from Getty |
- Prompt: Write the opening sentence (just one sentence), of 25 words or fewer, to a story based on the photo above.
- You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story.
Use the submission form below OR email your submission directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: If you experience trouble with the submission form, please email your submission directly to email@example.com within the body of your email (no attachments, please).
Unfortunately, we cannot respond to every entry we receive, due to volume. No confirmation emails will be sent out to confirm receipt of submission. But be assured all submissions received before entry deadline are considered carefully. Official Rules
Entry Deadline: November 19, 2018 - CLOSED
Out of nearly 500 entries, Writer's Digest editors and readers selected the following 10 winners.
1. Sandra kicked the dirt in fake fury, distracting the others as Emory wriggled out of the rooftop suitcase to make her escape. —Valerie Acres
2. If they'd known the Good Samaritan that changed their flat was the same man who'd shot the tire, they wouldn't have invited him to the cabin. —Linda Juliano
3. It became our custom to baptize our feet in the soil of each new state we crossed into without being captured. —John Lundquist
4. (Tie) The dirt road to Chicago seemed a poor place for our time-travelers group to learn the Charleston, but we'd need it where we were going. —Sharon Addy
4. (Tie) Tara leaned into her sister’s car and, remembering her rejected plea not to replace the spare tire with Jacob’s body, held back a smirk. —Rob Rangel
6. Kicking up dust didn’t drown out mama’s voice in my head as she said, “When life gives you sand instead of soil, build castles." —Ciara O'Neal
7. (Tie) I don't believe in God until something terrible happens, and this road trip was the Holy Spirit of terrible happenings. —Mike VanMassenhove
7. (Tie) When we panicked, always-calm-Cara was able to charm the snake out of the car and send it back to its desert home. —Maureen Cogan
7. (Tie) All I know is that four hours later, Darien was dead, Laura was on the run, and I became conscripted into the Australian army. —David Minor
10. "From here on out, we take directions from MapQuest," Julie said and kicked the protesting, know-it-all toad high into the air and out of view. —Kevin McCarthy