- Prompt: Write the opening sentence (just one sentence), of 25 words or fewer, to a story based on the photo to the left. You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story.
Thanks to everyone who entered and/or voted in WD’s Your Story 74! Here are the results. The top 10 winners, in ranking order, are as follows:
1. In the shadows of the home we once shared, the greatest lie you ever told remains in blurred black paint on a long forgotten wall.
2. The words painted on the rock at the top of the mountain were the last written by the couple found at the bottom.
3. One thing I learned about marrying a sign painter: Once things go dry, they stay that way.
4. Andrea avoided eye contact with her ex’s handiwork as she uncapped the paint can, preparing to add a fresh layer of “Khaki Cafe.”
5. The game started with a park-bench note, and ended with a proposal stamped on a wall—and she still didn't know his name.
6. Kenneth Ve slipped the diamond on Edie Lo's finger, and breathlessly said, "When we wed, let's drop the hyphen."
7. What is it, exactly, that induces so many public restroom patrons to wax romantic while taking care of business?
8. The message on the wall read like an expression of love, except to me.
9. I ran to hide in the abandoned mine shaft, where I found the evidence of his terrifying fixation painted on the wall, waiting for me.
10. They fell in love at the Annual International Graffiti Competition, but were quickly disqualified for using a crappy stencil and poor grammar.