- Prompt: Write the opening sentence (just one sentence), of 25 words or fewer, to a story based on the photo to the left.You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story.
Thanks to everyone who entered WD’s Your Story 72 contest! Here are the results. The top 10 winners, in ranking order, are as follows:
1. When the car circled the block the second time, I knew.
2. Death came to our town not on some pale, apocalyptic beast, but in a red Volkswagen Bug that rolled in quiet as the evening snow.
3. It was cold, so the odd noise coming from under the hood didn't concern me, until I remembered a Beetle's engine is in the rear.
4. In that one moment I knew that I had made a fatal mistake by leaving the headlights on.
5. It certainly raised some questions when McCormick’s purring VW appeared in my driveway, seeing as he had driven it off of a cliff in 1976.
6. I always knew a bug would be the last survivor.
7. I thought that looks mattered when it came to girls and cars, but it turns out I was wrong about one of them.
8. Despite the deflated tire, the engine still chugged, and in the foggy glow of the headlights I watched a faceless stranger approach.
9. Marty McFly got a DeLorean and I get a VW Bug—real-life time travel's already disappointing me.
10. With sub-zero temperatures hurting my skin, I rushed to the car with my smuggled memory card when the headlights suddenly flooded onto the snow.