Want to manage your competitions account? Log In Here
Writer’s Digest has been shining a spotlight on up and coming writers in all genres through its Annual Writing Competition for more than 80 years. Enter our 89th Annual Writing Competition for your chance to win and have your work be seen by editors and agents! Almost 500 winners will be chosen..
You can edit or manage your entry HERE
One Grand Prize winner will receive:
- $5,000 in cash
- An interview with the author in Writer’s Digest
- A paid trip to the Writer’s Digest Annual Conference, including a coveted Pitch Slam slot
- and more
The First place winner in each category will receive $1,000 in cash
The Second place winner in each category will receive $500 cash
The Third place winner in each category will receive $250 in cash
The Fourth place winner in each category will receive $100 in cash
The Fifth place winner in each category will receive $50 in cash
The Sixth through Tenth place winners in each category will receive $25 in cash
All top winners will also receive:
- A one-year subscription (new or renewal) to Writer’s Digest magazine, discounts on Writer’s Digest University workshops and more.
- The Grand Prize winning piece and the 1st place winning piece in each category will be published on WritersDigest.com.
- All other top winners will have their names listed in Writer’s Digest and on WritersDigest.com.
All Honorable Mentions receive:
- 20% discount off of purchases made at Writer’s Digest University
- Their names listed on WritersDigest.com.
- Memoirs/Personal Essay
- Print or Online Article
- Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
- Mainstream/Literary Short Story
- Rhyming Poetry
- Non-rhyming Poetry
- Script (Stage Play/Television/Movie Script/Short Film)
- Children’s/Young Adult Fiction
How to Enter
- All entries must be submitted online.
- All entries must be in English. Only original works that have not been published in print, digital or online publications will be considered. Self-published work in blogs, on social media, etc. will be considered. For the script category, only unproduced scripts will be considered. Entries in the Print or Online Article category may be previously published.
- It is preferred that an entry be formatted to 8.5 x 11 paper, single sided, 1 inch margins. We prefer any of the various standard-formatting styles (although non-conforming entries will not be disqualified). Scripts (TV/Movie, Stage Play or Short Film) and poems may be either double-or single-spaced; all other documents must be double-spaced.
- BE SURE OF YOUR WORD COUNT! Entries exceeding the word, line or page limits will be disqualified. Type the exact word count (counting every single word, except the title) at the top of the manuscript.
- Due to U.S. Government restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, North Korea, or Crimea.
- For more information visit our Preparing Your Entry Page or our FAQpage.
Enter your email below and receive a free download, "Writer's Digest Complete Guide to Writing Contests," and be a step ahead of your competition!