The fabulous literary agent Kate McKean of Howard Morhaim Literary has opened herself up to queries once again as of Feb. 26, 2016. (It's impossible to say whether this opening will 3 months or 6 months or however long, so check out her info below soon, and query her soon if she is a good fit for your work.)
Right now, Kate "really, really wants": "contemporary women's fiction that's not another broken-hearted women restoring the B&B she just inherited. What I really want in this genre about women in the workplace, like the TV show "Younger." Or historical fiction in the 20th century about this same topic, like The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe. I also seek contemporary YA and MG, but fantasy is OK, too, in these genres. If you have a platform and can sell lots of books, query me for your memoir or humor book."
The biggest literary agent database anywhere
is the Guide to Literary Agents. Pick up the
most recent updated edition online at a discount.
She is NOT seeking:
-adult thrillers or mysteries. Basically if one of your main characters is a cop, FBI agent or PI, I am not your agent.
-any political novels, satire or straight.
-any urban fantasy, adult or YA: no ghosts, vampires, were-things, demons or angels.
-I am full up on YA about kids dealing with tough mental health issues.
-If your book is over 120k words long, I am not your agent.
How to submit: E-query kmckean [at] morhaimliterary.com. "To query an agent, please email your query letter and the first three chapters of your novel or your full nonfiction book proposal. Email attachments are acceptable. No snail mail submissions will be considered. You may only query one agent at our agency per project, and please only query one project at a time. Our response time to most queries is 8-12 weeks."
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers' Conferences:
- Oct. 28–30, 2016: Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference (Los Angeles, CA)
- Nov. 19, 2016: Las Vegas Writing Workshop (Las Vegas, NV)
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- Feb. 26–March 3, 2017: Writers Winter Escape Cruise (conference/cruise departing Miami)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- July 22, 2017: Tennessee Writers Workshop (Nashville, TN)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)
Your new complete and updated instructional guide
to finding an agent is finally here: The 2015 book
GET A LITERARY AGENT shares advice from more
than 110 literary agents who share advice on querying,
craft, the submission process, researching agents, and
much more. Filled with all the advice you'll ever need to
find an agent, this resource makes a great partner book to
the agent database, Guide to Literary Agents.