The MigWriters site has an amazing post breaking down the difference between the two children's categories of middle grade and young adult. To define the two, they pull a lot of good info from a variety of different sources - editors, agents (such as Lucienne Diver of The Knight Agency) and writers alike.
It's just a big, fat post tackling tough questions about these categories. If you're a kids reader, this is a post you want to read. Questions they address include the following:
- How long is a MG vs YA book?
- Who reads MG and YA books?
- How old is the protagonist?
- What are MG and YA books about?
Simple yet immensely informative.
Want more on this topic?
- Agent Jennifer Laughran of Andrea Brown Literary talks juvenile books.
- A new agent at Full Circle Literary is looking for kids books.
- Examine great high-concept hooks and ideas for kids books.
- Confused about formatting? Check out Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript.
- Read about What Agents Hate: Chapter 1 Pet Peeves.
- Want the most complete database of agents and what genres they're looking for? Buy the 2011 Guide to Literary Agents today!