A media kit can be a great tool for promoting your work and can be used to try to get mentions in publications or to try to get speaking engagements or spots on radio or TV.
A few do's and don'ts:
- Do include your complete contact information as well as your website/blog address
- Do include a personal biography and a photograph of yourself
- Do include a business card
- Do include any recent articles or endorsements
- Do include a good cover sheet that summarizes the contents of your media kit
- Do include a copy of your latest book
- Don't over do it--these days everyone is busy and have short attention spans. Keep it relevant and to the point.
- Don't include clippings of every press mention that you've ever gotten--go with either the most recent or the most impressive. Everything else can be summarized on your cover sheet (remember to be concise).