This post on the PubRants blog was way too amazing not to mention. Guest blogger Megan Crewe, writing on agent Kristin Nelson's site, explains how she polled 270 successful fiction authors and asked them if they broke in with a referral (a personal connection with someone in the business) or whether they cold queried an agent with success.
The results came back and 62% of the authors got their agent with just a cold query. Pretty amazing - but more than that: encouraging! I remember agent Dan Lazar once saying that "A good query trumps all else - every time."
So take hope!
This is Megan Crewer's new book,
Give Up the Ghost.
Want more on this subject?
- How many agents should you query?
- How to write a query letter: The 3 parts
- Interview with "Query Queen" Wendy Burt-Thomas
- Confused about formatting? Check out Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript.
- Read about What Agents Hate: Chapter 1 Pet Peeves.
- Want the most complete database of agents and what genres they're looking for? Buy the 2011 Guide to Literary Agents today!