Spent the weekend in Newport News, VA, on the coast, at the 2008 CNU Writers Conference. The moment I landed, it was a joy to feel 65 degree weather for a change. (Ohio is still in the forties right now.)
The conference went very well. It was held on the campus of Christopher Newport University, a college where every building is made with bright red bricks, giving it a modern colonial feel. To Virginians, this is nothing notable, but I enjoyed it.
Attendees read a little of their
work aloud at the start of the
conference to get the ball rolling.
I gave one speech on agents and sat on a panel about publishing. Michelle Andelman was the only agent in attendance and I don't envy her, as she was deluged in pitches and meetings. I'm betting her brain was mush by the end of Saturday. Speaking of Michelle, she gave a good presentation on query letters and I will post more about that soon.
The publishing panel, with me,
romance novelist Michelle Willingham,
and romance novelist Marla Cordle.
The conference happens every year, so consider it for 2009 if you're in the area.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19–21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)