This past weekend, I presented at the 2008 San Francisco Writers Conference. It was, as you probably guessed, great—and a lot of power players were there, from big-name authors (Clive Cussler, Tess Gerritsen) to numerous agents and more. I did two sessions, and sat in on a few more. There was literary agent "speed dating" and "table sessions" with acquiring editors. It seemed to be moving at a mile a minute, which is a good thing.
The hotel in Nob Hill had
quite the view. Ahhh ...
I got to talk with lots of agents, and shared many a laugh over dinners.
Me concentrating hard before a speech.
Being that this was my first trip to San Francisco, here are several things I learned about the city:
1. Parking there is a Manhattan-esque nightmare. Sometimes you have to park perpendicular to the street to avoid rolling down the hill. Even if you do park normally along a street, once you put the car in park, you jerk the wheel left to make your front tires sideways—again, to prevent "runaways."
2. No matter how much I was warned about how hilly the city is, it's worse. My legs hurt.
3. Hawaiian restaurants are still alive and well.
4. Oh yeah, and I discovered that an agent at the conference used to date Jim Morrison. Not a joke. Awesome.
Check Out These Great Upcoming Writers Conferences:
- Feb. 11, 2017: Writers Conference of Minnesota (St. Paul, MN)
- Feb. 16–19, 2017: San Francisco Writers Conference (San Francisco, CA)
- Feb. 24, 2017: The Alabama Writers Conference (Birmingham, AL)
- Feb. 25, 2017: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 25, 2017: Michigan Writers Conference (Detroit, MI)
- March 25, 2017: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, MO)
- April 8, 2017: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 22, 2017: Get Published in Kentucky Conference (Louisville, KY)
- April 22, 2017: New Orleans Writers Conference (New Orleans, LA)
- May 6, 2017: Seattle Writers Conference (Seattle, WA)
- May 19–21, 2017: PennWriters Conference (Pittsburgh, PA)
- June 24, 2017: The Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- Aug. 18–20, 2017: Writer's Digest Conference (New York, NY)