- Set your goals.When it comes to indie publishing, the best place to start is at the very end. Before you dive in to the process, consider what main goals you have for your book. Do you aspire to commercial success? Are you looking to supplement your speaking career or business? Maybe seeing your name in print is enough to make you happy. Determining your goals will help you map out the path you need to take in order to arrive at end results that will satisfy your expectations.
- Choose a publishing package.Once you know what you want to accomplish, it's simple to select the right publishing package. Our five publishing packages are designed to meet the publishing needs of a wide variety of authors; and Abbott Press gives you the freedom to choose a package with services that are most relevant to your specific publishing goals. You can rely on an Abbott Press consultant to help you select the package that is best suited for your book.
- Put your best work forward.Deciding to put your work out there where the world can see it is a career-changing step; and we understand it’s important to you that your work is truly ready for its big debut. Once you’ve purchased a publishing package, an Abbott Press Check-In Coordinator will work with you to make sure you properly submit your manuscript and any other supplemental materials for your book. You can choose to work with our professional editors and designers to help ensure that your finished book will meet your own high standards — as well as those of readers and industry professionals.
- Stay in control.One of indie publishing’s most attractive benefits is the ability to take charge of your book’s future. Since you retain the full rights to your work, you remain in control of your book’s content, overall design and more. Each person you work with at Abbott Press will take his or her direction from you regarding the details of your book. Once you’re ready for the book production process, we’ll create your book’s interior and cover and send you electronic proofs for your review and approval. We strive to ensure that your distinct voice comes through and that you produce a book that fills you with pride. You can take advantage of our professional expertise and advice while still staying in control each step of the way.
- Publish and promote your book.As soon as you give us the go-ahead, we'll send your final manuscript to our printer and distributor, making sure your book is available for purchase from a multitude of big-name retailers. We'll send you the first printed copy of your book to hold in your hands. Take a moment to enjoy the feelings that come with being a published author! When it’s time to promote and sell your book, Abbott Press offers many marketing and promotional services that can help you continue to move forward.
Writing Mistakes Writers Make: Dismissing Stories That Aren’t From Books
The Writer's Digest team has witnessed many writing mistakes over the years, so we started this series to help identify them for other writers (along with correction strategies). This week's writing mistake is dismissing stories that aren’t from books.
30 Poetry Prompts From 2022 November PAD Chapbook Challenge
Get all 30 poetry prompts from the 15th annual November Poem-A-Day Chapbook Challenge here. Actually, 35 prompts if you're counting Two-for-Tuesday prompts!
How to Stalk Publishing Professionals on Social Media in an Appropriate Way
Many people are self-professed "stalkers" on social media, whether they're following life events of friends or celebrities. But writers can learn quite a bit on social media by stalking publishing professionals too, and this post covers the appropriate way to do so.