[UPDATED: Top 10 list below. Congratulations to all in the top 10!]
Okay, I left my brain in Georgia (currently up in Ohio) along with my Top 10 list for the haibun challenge. I will update this post when I get back down to Georgia, but I don’t need my list to remember the winning haibun. It’s not because the other haibuns were not excellent; it’s because this haibun haunted me personally (as the father of five children).
Look for updates next week, but here’s the winning haibun in the meantime:
Splash of Silence, by Taylor Graham
He left his room in disarray – toy cars scattered, coloring books on the floor with broken crayons. He didn’t make his bed this morning. How his mother would like to straighten the sheets, pull up the comforter, and fluff the pillow in its place. She watches at the window as a searcher follows his dog down the street.
creekwater giggles –
a deep pool under willow
dances small debris
Wow! Please congratulate Taylor. She wrote an amazing haibun.
But she’s not alone. Here are the rest of the top 10:
- Splash of Silence, by Taylor Graham
- Widow’s Walk, by Andrea Fleming
- Cricket, by Walt Wojtanik
- “Riding the ocean waves…,” by Marjory M. Thompson
- Twenty Games Back, by Bruce Niedt
- “In the cooling shade…,” by Jane Hoover
- Her Tokens, by Taylor Graham
- “Tiny feet splash…,” by Sheila Moore
- Implosion, by Marie Elena
- Labor Day in Texas, by ChristineA
Follow me on Twitter @robertleebrewer
If you’re into blogging, check out this 9-minute excerpt of my hour-long tutorial 50 Ways to Increase Traffic to Your Blog.