A query letter should make a compelling case for a book, show why you are the person to write it, and outline the market potential for your novel. Once you’ve got these elements, it’s time to prepare your submission. Here are some basic formatting tips for a novel query letter:
- Use standard business-letter format, with an easy-to-read typeface (black ink, 12-point Times New Roman font).
- Use a one-inch margin.
- Single-space the body of the letter; double-space between paragraphs.
- Use letter head or type your personal information in the top right corner.
- Try to keep the query to one page.
- As with an article query, try to grab your reader’s attention with a strong lead making the case for your book.