1. The competition is open to manuscripts of 1,500 words or fewer (title not included). Entries outside the word limitation will be disqualified. For entries submitted via regular mail, type the word count on the first page of your entry along with your name, address, phone number and email address. No refunds will be issued for disqualified entries.
2. The entry fee is $20 per manuscript. You may enter as many manuscripts as you wish. If you are submitting your entry via regular mail, you may send one check (in U.S. funds) and one entry form for all entries. We accept checks or money orders, Visa, American Express, Discover, and Mastercard for all entries submitted online or via regular mail. Checks should be made out to F+W Media, Inc. Credit cards will be charged within 90 days of the contest deadline. Charges will appear on your statement as “F+W Contests.”
3. All entries must be in English, original, unpublished, and not submitted or accepted elsewhere at the time of submission. Writer’s Digest reserves one-time publication rights to the 1st- through 25th-place winning entries to be published in a Writer’s Digest publication.
4. If you are submitting your entry via regular mail, all entries must be typewritten and double-spaced on one side of 8-1/2 x 11 or A4 white paper. Manuscripts will not be returned. Entries must be stapled.
5. Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by December 17, 2012 (11:59 pm EST).
6. Winners will be notified by February 28, 2013. If you have not been contacted by this date, you may assume that your entry is not a finalist and may be marketed elsewhere.
7. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard with your entry if you want to be notified of its receipt. We cannot notify you personally of your story’s status before the winners are announced. If entering online, you will receive a confirmation email for your entries.
8. Winners’ names will appear in the July/August 2013 issue of Writer’s Digest magazine. Afterwards, their names and story titles will be posted at www.writersdigest.com.
9. The following are not permitted to enter the competition: employees of F+W Media, Inc., and their immediate families and Writer’s Digest contributing editors and correspondents as listed on the masthead.