1. The competition is open to manuscripts of 1,500 words or fewer (title not included). Entries outside the word limitation will be disqualified. For entries submitted via regular mail (NOT using the online entry form), type the word count on the first page of your entry along with your name, address, phone number and email address. No refunds will be issued for disqualified entries. Entries submitted online do not need name, address, phone number and email in the upper left-hand corner of the first page since that information is collected on the form.
2. The early-bird entry fee is $20 per manuscript. The regular deadline entry fee is $25 per manuscript.You may enter as many manuscripts as you wish. If you are submitting your entry via regular mail, you may send one check (in U.S. funds) and one entry form for all entries. We accept checks or money orders, Visa, American Express, Discover, and Mastercard for all entries submitted online or via regular mail. Checks should be made out to F+W Media, Inc. Credit cards will be charged within 30 days of the contest deadline. Charges will appear on your statement as “F+W Contests.”
3. All entries must be in English, original, unpublished, and not submitted or accepted elsewhere at the time of submission. Writer’s Digest reserves one-time nonexclusive publication rights to the 1st- through 25th-place winning entries to be published in a Writer’s Digest publication.
4. If you are submitting your entry via regular mail (NOT using the online entry form), all entries must be typewritten and double-spaced on one side of 8-1/2 x 11 or A4 white paper. Manuscripts will not be returned. Entries must be stapled.
5. Early-bird Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by November 17, 2014 (11:59 pm EST). Regular Entries must be postmarked or submitted online by January 16, 2015 (11:59 pm EST).
6. Winners will be notified by February 27, 2015. If you have not been contacted by this date, you may assume that your entry is not a finalist and may be marketed elsewhere.
7. Enclose a self-addressed, stamped postcard with your entry if you want to be notified of its receipt. We cannot notify you personally of your story’s status before the winners are announced. If entering online, you will receive a confirmation email for your entries.
8. Winners’ names will appear in the July/August 2015 issue of Writer’s Digest magazine. Afterwards, their names and story titles will be posted at www.writersdigest.com.
9. The following are not permitted to enter the competition: employees of F+W Media, Inc., and their immediate families and Writer’s Digest contributing editors and correspondents as listed on the masthead. Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, or North Korea.