A Valentine’s Day Writing Contest by Writer’s Digest
Winning Entry: “Essay on Love Lost,” by Jennifer Koiter
Congrats to all the finalists of the “Red Heart :: Black Heart” Contest. For a list of the 46 finalists, visit:
Red Heart :: Black Heart Finalists
This Contest Has Ended
Do you feel like you have a red heart at this time of year, or a black heart? We want your poems, essays, and letters about love and heartbreak—your highest moments and your lowest. And we promise we won’t tell you how to feel about this very controversial holiday of the year. Just choose the most appropriate category of submission:
- Love Poem
- Black-Hearted Love Poem
- Love Letter
- Rejection Letter (and we don’t mean the editor/agent kind)
- Essay on Love at First Sight
- Essay on Love Lost
Winners and Prizes
The Writer’s Digest staff will choose the best entries from each of the six categories, and post them on the WritersDigest.com forum no later than February 10, 2009. The entry with the most votes on the forum by February 12, 2009, at 5 p.m., determines the contest winner.
The winner will receive a $250 shopping spree to the Writer’s Digest Store. Plus Writer’s Digest Publisher Jane Friedman will send the winner a Whitman’s Sampler with a personal, red-heart note of congratulations. The best entry in each category will receive a free 1-year subscription to WritersMarket.com and 50% off any course from WritersOnlineWorkshops.
Red Heart :: Black Heart Compilation
The Writer’s Digest staff will select the best entries from this contest for a Red Heart-Black Heart compilation, available for free as a download at WritersDigest.com, or as a print-on-demand book.
1 poem, up to 30 lines
1 letter, up to 750 words
1 essay, up to 750 words
Deadline: February 6, 2009
How to submit your work
No fee to enter. All work must be original and the author must own all rights to the work. Send the work in the body of an e-mail (no attachments!) to email@example.com. Only one entry per e-mail message, please. Entries beyond the word count or with attachments will be disregarded. We’re sorry, but we can’t confirm receipt of submissions.
The fine print
Writer’s Digest retains one-time nonexclusive publication rights to the best entries, to be published in a Writer’s Digest compilation. All rights remain with the author. All decisions of the editors are final.
“RED HEART :: BLACK HEART” CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to all ages. Employees, officers and directors of F+W Publications, Inc. (“Sponsor”) , its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, “Sponsor and its agents”) and immediate family members (spouses and siblings, children and parents and their spouses, regardless of where they live) or members of the same households (whether related or not) of such individuals are not eligible. Void where prohibited.
2. TO ENTER: The “Red Heart :: Black Heart” Contest (Contest) ends at 11:59 PM ET on February 6, 2009). . To enter, send the work in the body of an e-mail (no attachments!) to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit prior to the deadline. Limit one entry per person per day.
3. PRIZE/ODDS OF WINNING: The Writer’s Digest staff will choose the best entries from each of the six categories, and post them on the WritersDigest.com forum no later than February 10, 2009. The entry with the most votes on the forum by February 12, 2009, at 5 p.m., determines the contest winner. No prize transfer or cash redemption permitted. No prize substitution, in whole or in part, except by Sponsor due to prize unavailability, safety or security considerations, or any other reason as solely determined by Sponsor in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded.
Winner will be notified by phone, email, postal mail or express mail at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Return of a prize notification or other documentation as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. Winner may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release and (where legal) a publicity release, which must be returned within the time period specified in the notification letter or an alternate winner may be selected.
4. GENERAL: Taxes on prize and all expenses related to acceptance and use of prize and not specified are the sole responsibility of winner. Winners of prizes valued at $600 or more will be issued an IRS 1099 Form for the value of the prize. By participating, entrants agree [a] to these rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final in all respects relating to this Sweepstakes; and [b] to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and its agents from any and all injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind resulting from their participating in the Sweepstakes or their acceptance, use or misuse of a prize including, without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage; and if a winner, [c] to permit Sponsor to use his or her name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, voice likeness and city and state address for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in all media, including but not limited to on air and online, in perpetuity, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and agree to execute specific consent to such use upon request. Sponsor and its agents are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: [a] electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, computer or other technical malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, including without limitation, server malfunction or by any human error which may occur in the collection, processing and transmission of data; [b] lost, late, misdirected, illegible or incomplete entries or postage-due mail; [c] any type of graphical or other error in the advertising or printing of the Sweepstakes or in the administration of the Sweepstakes; or [d] any condition that may cause the administration, security or proper play of the Sweepstakes to be disrupted or corrupted; and in such event Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend the Sweepstakes or any portion thereof and to award the prize(s) via a random drawing from among all eligible entries legitimately received prior to cancellation. Entry information becomes property of Sponsor.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Internet entry must be made by the entrant only at the authorized Web site address. Entries may not be made by any other individual or any entity, and/or originate at any other Internet Web site or e-mail address, including but not limited to commercial sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering service sites. Any winner who enters by any of the methods described above will be disqualified and an alternate winner selected. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the e-mail account is registered at the time of entry. Potential winner may be required to provide evidence that winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. Use of any device to automate entry is prohibited. Judge’s decisions are final and binding.
5. DISPUTE RESOLUTION/CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited, by participating each entrant agrees that all issues and questions concerning these official rules shall be governed by Ohio law without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law of any jurisdiction. Entrant agrees that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to this Sweepstakes shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Hamilton County in the state of Ohio , United States , and entrant hereby consents and submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Sweepstakes, entrant agrees that: [a] any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and [b] any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and [c] under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
7. WINNER LIST: Winners will be posted at WritersDigest.com
SPONSOR: F+W Publications, Inc., 4700 E. Galbraith Road , Cincinnati , OH 45236