Writing fantastic children’s books is just about the toughest form of writing there is — just because they are short, doesn’t mean they are easy!
In this live 90-minute webinar — titled “Writing and Selling Children’s Books” — instructor and senior literary agent Jennifer Laughran will reveal “trade secrets” of the kids book biz, and help you on your way to making a career out of writing for children. And all the questions you have about publishing will be answered. Plus, as a bonus, Jennifer will critique either the first 500 words of your children’s book or your query letter. It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, May 21, 2015, and lasts 90 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- What is selling in the realm of Children’s Books… and what is NOT
- Tips on self-editing your picture book or novel
- The most common mistakes of newbie children’s writers
- Understanding the role of the illustrator
- How to nab and work with an agent or publisher
- How to tell if an agent or publisher is legit or a scam-artist
- Red-flags and roadblocks on the way to publication
- The importance of creating a healthy editorial partnership
- Strategies for maximizing success to build a career
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to submit EITHER the first 500 words of their children’s book, OR their query letter. All submitted samples or queries are guaranteed a written critique by Senior Agent Jennifer Laughran of Andrea Brown Literary Agency.
Please Note: Even if you can’t attend the live webinar, registering for this live version will enable you to receive the On Demand webinar and a personal critique of your material. Purchasing the On Demand version after the live event will not include a critique.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Jennifer Laughran is a Senior Agent at Andrea Brown Literary Agency, where she has been since 2007. ABLA is consistently ranked as the top agency for children’s books in the US by Publishers Marketplace. Jenn represents everything in the world of children’s books, from the youngest baby books to edgy older YA, and everything in between.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Newbies who have a kids-book dream but don’t know how to make it a reality
- Writers who are looking to break into the Children’s Book market
- Writers who have children’s book ideas but need help implementing them
- Writers who need networking or agent-finding tips
- Writers looking for resources to learn the business
- Writers wanting to learn some “trade secrets” of the kids book biz
- Writers who want to challenge themselves
- Writers who want refreshing and no-holds-barred insight into the wonderful world of publishing children’s books
HOW DOES THE CRITIQUE WORK?
All registrants are invited to submit EITHER the first 500 words of their children’s book, OR their query letter. All submitted samples or queries are guaranteed a written critique by Senior Agent Jennifer Laughran of Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Instructions on how to submit your work are sent after you have purchased the webinar and officially register in Go-to-Webinar. When you have registered in GTW, you will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com, which contains the information you need to access the live webinar AND the Critique Submission Instructions.
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.