You are probably making a lot of mistakes in your novel. Right now. But that’s ok, because many other writers are doing that, too, especially in their first drafts. But how do you know what mistakes you’re making, and how do you fix them before you show it to an editor or agent? How do you prevent your manuscript from being rejected because of common writer’s pitfalls that can be easily fixed?
This intensive and information-filled 90-minute webinar — titled “Why Agents Say No: The Manuscript Mistakes That Keep You from Getting Published” — will show you the 20 most common mistakes novelists of any and every genre make, whether it’s your first or 21 novel. Instructor Kate McKean has been a literary agent with the Howard Morhaim Literary Agency for more than 7 years and worked with all kinds of authors-from traditional novelists to tech-savvy bloggers-and works closely with her clients on their novels and proposals. Plus, as a bonus, Kate will critique the first 500 words of your novel! It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, May 12, 2016, and lasts 90 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Tips on how to look at your manuscript objectively
- How to spot lags in plot and pacing
- When to kill a darling and when to let it live
- To identify problems in POV, voice, and perspective
- Whether your novel is too short, or too long
- How to tell if you’re on, off, or ahead of trends
- What agents really think when they see these common mistakes
- How to tell if this is what’s standing between you and publication
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
This webinar includes a critique of the first 500 words of your novel, to safeguard against making one of these 20 mistakes (or others) right off the bat. All registrants are invited to submit the first 500 words of their novel and are guaranteed a written critique by Kate McKean.
Please Note: Even if you can’t attend the live webinar, registering for this live version will enable you to receive the On Demand webinar and a personal critique of your material.Purchasing the On Demand version after the live event will not include a critique.
Kate McKean is a literary agent at the Howard Morhaim Literary Agency in Brooklyn, NY, where she has worked for over seven years. She earned her Master’s in Fiction Writing at the University of Southern Mississippi, and enjoys both the creative and business aspects of her job. Her clients include Madeleine Roux’s New York Times bestselling YA novel ASYLUM, and New York Times bestselling humor book I Can Has Cheezburger. She is most interested in contemporary women’s fiction, middle grade and young adult fiction, as well as memoir.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who’ve reached a road block with their novel
- Writers who are unsure if they’re ready to submit their novel to agents and editors
- Writers who want to become expert self-editors
- Writers who don’t want to blow their sometimes only chance at publication
- Writers looking for tips on improving their first or final draft manuscript
- Writers wanting improve their skills for this and all novels to come
- Writers looking to take their manuscript to the next level
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.