It has never been more difficult to get traditionally published and make your writing stand out than right now. Literary agent Carly Watters has years of experience launching debut authors.
In this live 90-minute webinar — titled “Successfully Publishing Your First Novel in the 21st Century” — instructor and literary agent Carly Watters shares with you the process of polishing your manuscript and getting it publication ready, querying literary agents effectively, keeping an agent’s attention with your manuscript, how to make the most of an agent/author relationship, how to find the best place to publish your writing, and where to find your readers. Plus, as a bonus, Carly will critique your manuscript’s first five pages! It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, February 19, 2015, and lasts 90 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to begin your book and why you’ve probably been starting in the wrong spot
- Self-editing tips that will transform your manuscript
- How to make your query letter stand out (from someone who reads over 800 a month!)
- Why agents stop reading your manuscript
- What agents are looking for in writers that are going to help them stand out
- How agents partner with authors to make them stand out in 21st century publishing
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to submit the first 5 pages of a novel. All submitted pages are guaranteed a written critique by Literary Agent Carly Watters. Carly reserves the right to request more writing from you, if she deems the writing excellent.
Please Note: Even if you can’t attend the live webinar, registering for this live version will enable you to receive the On Demand webinar and a personal critique of your material.Purchasing the On Demand version after the live event will not include a critique.
Carly Watters is a VP and senior literary agent with the P.S. Literary Agency. She is a hands-on agent who develops proposals and manuscripts with attention to detail and the relevant markets. PSLA’s mission is to manage authors’ literary brands for their entire career.
Never without a book on hand, she reads across categories—which is reflected in the genres she represents—and is actively seeking new authors in women’s fiction, commercial fiction, upmarket fiction, literary thrillers, platform-driven nonfiction, and select children’s projects. Carly is drawn to emotional, well-paced narratives with a great voice and characters that readers can get invested in.
Clients include Globe and Mail bestseller Jay Onrait, Taylor Jenkins Reid, Karen Katchur, Andrea Dunlop, Rebecca Phillips, Colin Mochrie, Allison Day, Paulette Lambert and more. Carly’s blog has been named one of 101 Best Websites for Writers by Writer’s Digest magazine. You can find Carly online at carlywatters.com and on Twitter @carlywatters.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who are looking to publish their work for the first time
- Writers who want to get their manuscript publication ready
- Writers who would like to get a literary agent
- Writers who would like tips on how to query literary agents
- Writers who want to learn more about the business side of publishing in the 21st century
- Writers who have published before, but are looking for better ways to find readers
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.