Being a writer can make you crazy. The writer’s life is at once invigorating and exhausting, it can be isolating and wonderfully social, inspiring as well as demeaning. As writers we bring our deepest, most sensitive selves to the page, and often the world can feel like a hyper-critical and uncaring receiver, where competition, criticism, and even the success of others can make writing feel like a chore, or worse-utterly terrifying. And yet, we’re driven to return to the page and express ourselves despite the uncertainty and the demands of day-to-day life.
How do we deal with all these contradictions, the isolation, the rejection, the irrational joys and sorrows of being a writer? In this live webinar you’ll learn many ways to kill the fear, or, as Robert Leckie said, shoot that old bear under your desk between the eyes.
In this live 90-minute webinar — titled “How To Be a Writer Without Losing Your Mind: Balancing Work, Life, and Craft” — instructor and literary agent John M. Cusick provides the tools for tackling the writing life with gusto, enthusiasm, and balance. Learn healthy, productive techniques for combating the inner critic, utilize envy envy, and summon motivation. With humor and insight, this webinar will give attendees the skills to conquer the maddening uncertainties of writing and publishing, and to create a space for one’s writer self in the world. Plus, as a bonus, John will critique your one-page query letter! It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, November 19, 2015, and lasts 90 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Techniques for balancing writing time and your day-to-day life
- Tips for staying focused when distractions demand your attention
- How to set up a mental and physical space for your writing
- Tricks for staying motivated and inspired
- Techniques for coping with insecurity, uncertainty, and rejection
- How to deal with your internal critic
- Daily practices and meditations specifically designed for the writing life
- How to take the measure of yourself as a writer, and keep writing!
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to submit a query letter to be critiqued. All submitted queries are guaranteed a written critique by Literary Agent John Cusick. Please Note: Even if you can’t attend the live webinar, registering for this live version will enable you to receive the On Demand webinar and a personal critique of your material. Purchasing the On Demand version after the live event will not include a critique.
John M. Cusick is an agent with Folio Jr. / Folio Literary Management, representing picture books, middle-grade, and young adult novels. He is also the author of GIRL PARTS and CHERRY MONEY BABY (Candlewick Press), as well as a regular speaker at writers conferences. His online writing on the craft and philosophy of writing receive thousands of hits a day. His clients include New York Times Bestselling Author Tommy Wallach (WE ALL LOOKED UP, Simon & Schuster), Courtney Alameda (SHUTTER, Feiwel & Friends) and Hannah Moskowitz (A HISTORY OF GLITTER AND BLOOD, Chronicle Books) You can find him at www.JohnMCusick.com and on twitter, @johnmcusick.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Anyone looking or inspiration and motivation to KEEP GOING
- Writers feeling hounded by their inner critic
- Sufferers of “writer’s block”
- Long time authors in a rut
- New writers looking to form strong writing habits
- Writers with day jobs and families, in school
- Writers who feel distracted
- Anyone who feels they “don’t have time to write”
- Writers who feel they’re on the verge of “giving up”
- Writers who find it difficult to get started
- Book lovers who want to pursue writing seriously
- Any writer seeking an agent, a publisher, a first book deal, that break out novel, or feel they are ready for their craft and career to take the next big step
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.