Writers are tired of all those rejection letters piling up in their inbox. Some writers are confused about what they mean and how to learn from them. Agents don’t love sending rejections; in fact, it’s agents’ least favorite part of the job. Agents send them for many reasons like writers not following guidelines or targeting the right agents, or perhaps an agent really does like a pitch, but they don’t love it. Everyone can see that’s a broad spectrum. So how do writers know where they fall into it? Believe it or not, those form rejections hold the secret to writers’ success-they just don’t know it yet.
In this live 90-minute webinar — titled “Decoding Your Rejections: Getting Beyond Form Letters to Find Your Success” — instructor and literary agent Carly Watters will teach you how to deconstruct rejections and interpret unknown patterns, provide you with winning pitching formulas, and empower you to find their success within the querying system. Plus, as a bonus, Carly will critique your one-page query letter! It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, November 12, 2015, and lasts 90 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to recognize patterns in rejection letters
- When to rewrite your query and when to revise your manuscript
- Why agents send form rejections and why they send personalized rejections-and what the difference is
- Winning formulas for your premise, hook and query letter
- Why your pitch should focus on plot, not theme
- The truth about how agents process queries
- How to think like an agent who is reading their slush pile
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE
All registrants are invited to submit a one (1) page query letter. All submitted queries are guaranteed a written critique by VP and Senior Literary Agent Carly Watters.
Please Note: Even if you can’t attend the live webinar, registering for this live version will enable you to receive the On Demand webinar and a personal critique of your material. Purchasing the On Demand version after the live event will not include a critique.
Carly Watters is a VP and Senior Literary Agent at the P.S. Literary Agency. She began her publishing career in London at the Darley Anderson Literary, TV and Film Agency. She has a BA in English Literature and an MA in Publishing Studies and has been faculty as numerous conferences around North America including Surrey International Writer’s Conference, SCBWI San Francisco, Florida Writer’s Conference and many more. Since joining PSLA in 2010 and becoming a VP in 2014 Carly has had great success launching new authors domestically and abroad with acclaimed women’s fiction author Taylor Jenkins Reid being published in 14 languages around the world. Her blog www.CarlyWatters.com has thrice been awarded the Writer’s Digest distinction of ‘101 Best Blogs for Writers.’ Carly is drawn to: emotional, well-paced fiction, with a great voice and characters that readers can get invested in; and platform-driven non-fiction.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who are starting the query process and want a fast-track “best practices” guide
- Writers who have been querying for 3+ months with no requests
- Writers who have found minimal success with their current submission requests
- Writers who are looking to understand how agents read their slush pile
- Writers who aren’t sure how to write their best query letter
- Writers who have received conflicting advice about submissions or revisions
- Writers who want to know the difference between an agent “liking” something vs. “loving” it and why that matters most of all
- Writers who want to learn what makes an agent say “yes”
HOW DOES THE CRITIQUE WORK?
All registrants are invited to submit a one (1) page query letter. All submitted queries are guaranteed a written critique by VP and Senior Literary Agent Carly Watters. Instructions on how to submit your work are sent after you have purchased the webinar and officially register in Go-to-Webinar. When you have registered in GTW, you will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org, which contains the information you need to access the live webinar AND the Critique Submission Instructions.
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.