It’s indisputable: All authors must have their own website. It’s critical for effective marketing (online and offline), as well as long-term career growth. Even unpublished authors can benefit greatly from establishing a starter site. Why? You work through the learning curve, you build online awareness, you make contacts in the writing and media world, and more opportunities open up to you.
In this two-hour intensive live webinar — titled “Create an Author Website in 24 Hours or Less” — publishing expert Jane Friedman focuses on the simplest, most robust, and FREE tools to get a site up and running in a day or less—often in one evening! You don’t have to know any code, understand any technical jargon, or have previous experience with websites or blogs. You also don’t need to own your own domain or have hosting, although advice will be given on those issues.
It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, June 25, 2015, and lasts 120 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- 5 simple services that help you create a codeless website, for free, in an hour or less (plus what services to avoid)
- Absolute must-have elements for every author site, even if you’re unpublished
- The difference between a blog and a website, and whether or not you need a blog
- How to get started with WordPress, either at WordPress.com or on your own domain
- What WordPress themes are best to use, plus what premium themes you might consider investing in
- Basic and free WordPress plug-ins that you need, plus how to extend the functionality of your site with more advanced plug-ins
- How to add multimedia to your site (audio, video, photos, etc.)
- How to integrate social media sharing tools onto your site
- What site upgrades or additional features you might want that necessitate further investment
- An easy-to-understand explanation of domains and hosting (but you don’t need to own a domain or have hosting to get started!)
- Common mistakes and pitfalls of websites and blogs
- When you should hire a professional designer or site developer, and how much you can expect to spend
Jane Friedman is the former publisher of Writer’s Digest and the former web editor for the Virginia Quarterly Review (VQR). She has been building websites using WordPress since 2006, and is the sole designer and developer of her own website at JaneFriedman.com. Her website enjoys more than 100,000 visits every month and has won multiple awards as a best website for writers. Find out more at JaneFriedman.com.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who want to establish a new website from scratch
- Writers who want to learn how to use WordPress to build a new website
- Writers who have tried to use WordPress but need a tutorial
- Writers who want to transition from a blog-only site, such as Blogspot or Tumblr, to a full-featured site on WordPress
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.