It’s indisputable: All authors must have their own website. It’s critical for effective marketing (online AND offline), as well as long-term career growth. Even unpublished authors can benefit greatly from establishing a starter site. Why? You work through the learning curve, you build online awareness, you make contacts in the writing and media world, and more opportunities open up to you.
In this live two-hour intensive webinar — titled “Create an Author Website in 24 Hours or Less” — you’ll learn the simplest, most robust, and FREE tools to get a site up and running in a day or less—often in one evening! You don’t have to know any code, understand any technical jargon, or have previous experience with websites or blogs. You also don’t need to own your own domain or have hosting, although advice will be given on those issues.
While several different site-building options will be discussed, this session offers a step-by-step tutorial on setting up a site using WordPress—a best-in-class system that underpins 1 of every 6 websites on the Internet. WordPress is free to use, open source, and continually improving. It all happens at 1 p.m., EST, Thursday, September 11, 2014, and lasts 120 minutes.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- 5 simple services that help you create a codeless website, for free, in an hour or less (plus what services to avoid)
- Absolute must-have elements for every author site, even if you’re unpublished
- The difference between a blog and a website, and whether or not you need a blog
- How to get started with WordPress, either at WordPress.com or on your own domain
- What WordPress themes are best to use, plus what premium themes you might consider investing in
- Basic and free WordPress plug-ins that you need, plus how to extend the functionality of your site with more advanced plug-ins
- How to add multimedia to your site (audio, video, photos, etc.)
- How to integrate social media sharing tools onto your site
- What site upgrades or additional features you might want that necessitate further investment
- An easy-to-understand explanation of domains and hosting (but you don_t need to own a domain or have hosting to get started!)
- Common mistakes and pitfalls of websites and blogs
- When you should hire a professional designer or site developer, and how much you can expect to spend
- All these points and more will be answered in this nuts-and-bolts webinar about creating a model author website
Jane Friedman is the former publisher of Writer’s Digest, who now serves as web editor for the Virginia Quarterly Review (VQR). She spent more than a decade evaluating book proposals and manuscripts for publication, and continues to evaluate pitches through her work at VQR and at writing conferences across the country. Her blog for writers at JaneFriedman.com has more than 35,000 unique visitors every month and was named one of the Top 10 Blogs for Writers in 2011/2012. Find out more at JaneFriedman.com.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who want to establish a new website from scratch
- Writers who want to learn how to use WordPress to build a new website
- Writers who have tried to use WordPress but need a tutorial
- Writers who want to transition from a blog-only site, such as Blogspot or Tumblr, to a full-featured, long-term site on WordPress
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter’s computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.