YA Fiction Forum Guidelines

Home Forums Critique Central YA Fiction YA Fiction Forum Guidelines

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  robfp 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

robfp
    Participant

Welcome to the friendly YA (Young Adult) Fiction forum!

The below are guidelines to help you make your experience here as helpful and easy as possible. First, please review the Writers’ Digest forum guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25201.

1) Posts here should be YA Fiction, loosely defined as fiction with protagonists from about 12-20 years of age, and suitable for a PG-13 audience. Please limit the length of your posts to a chapter or about 2,000 words or less. (Stories employing younger characters should be placed in the Children’s Fiction forum; those with older protagonists may be placed in the genre forums, as, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, Historical Fiction, etc.) Not sure where your intended post should end up? Ask!

2) The purpose of all WD forums is to help writers improve their offerings so that they may be selected for publication. Therefore, previously-published pieces and derivative fan fiction should not be posted here, except for short excerpts used as examples.

3) If you post here, please critique or at least comment on others’ efforts. Don’t be a “drive-by” poster; please return and respond to comments so that we know you’ve seen them. We love to find out that your efforts (and perhaps our comments) have resulted in your work being accepted for publication, too.

4) Don’t post your work here and expect “strokes” (see #2 above). Expect to receive critiques of your posted work, which may or may not include praise. However, remember that the critiques are of your work, NOT of you. Also, please avoid direct arguments with those who critique your work. Explanations are one thing; harangues are quite another.

5) You may have to “style” your text a bit after you post it, as the phpBB bulletin board software used here does not support tabs or multiple spaces (but does support multiple returns to add lines between paragraphs). Please insert line spaces between each paragraph so that your post is easy to read.

6) Please proofread your text BEFORE you post to remove mechanical and usage errors. We understand that typos WILL happen, but posts full of unedited errors may cause readers to decide to skip over your efforts.

7) Although posting here for the purpose of receiving critiques is not generally considered the same as publishing a piece, to the extent that a publisher might refuse to consider your work for being “published”, search bots are supposedly not able to enter the WD critique forum section. Nevertheless, consider deleting your original work after a reasonable time, say at least a month, to prevent misuse of your intellectual property. You can delete portions or all of your own posts, but please request the moderator to delete portions of your own work in others’ comments, which may include useful info such as helpful links or comments about usage.

8) Take a little time to look over previous critiques (if available) of work similar to yours in this thread. You may discover some very useful suggestions.

Above all, have fun here with the rest of us. Don’t be nervous about posting; we were all beginning writers once. Celebrate your successes; be active; if you receive, be willing to give back. Hope to see you here often!

Tels
    Participant

I have a story that is coming of age. The first book is age 11 and the last book is age 17. Does it fit for YA section?

robfp
    Participant

@beapilot wrote:

I have a story that is coming of age. The first book is age 11 and the last book is age 17. Does it fit for YA section?

Good question. All YA novels, almost by definition, are coming-of-age stories, so agest 11-17 would fit in. I question the use of the term “book”, however – sounds as if you are working on a series, not a story, as each “book” (I assume “novel”) should be able to stand on its own, even as part of a series.

Anonymous

@beapilot wrote:

Hi bea, I posted a response to your critique below, but it would really be more appropriate to ask the question here. What else happens in the books you’re writing? And what kind of books do you read? You mentioned that you think reading about drugs encourages their use. I don’t think this is true. I think that sharing a bad experience could actually inspire others to make positive changes in their own lives. So that’s why I wonder what you do read, because not reading about anything considered “bad” could severely limit your reading choices, and could therefore affect your writing.

joebro06
    Participant

If my story has YA and Sci-Fi elements but I post it in one genre with no results, is it okay to post it in the other genre?

robfp
    Participant

@elessarswife wrote:

If my story has YA and Sci-Fi elements but I post it in one genre with no results, is it okay to post it in the other genre?

I see no problem with that; in fact, you could do “simultaneous posts” in both forums with a notification that you are double-posting because of the double elements. (However, sequential “scatter posting” in several forums is still frowned upon for the obvious reason that the practice smacks of spamming.)

joebro06
    Participant

Thanks, PLS.

Anonymous

My protaganist starts out as 18 and ends as 20-21 (I’m not totally sure yet). Does that count as YA?

robfp
    Participant

@Catwriter wrote:

My protaganist starts out as 18 and ends as 20-21 (I’m not totally sure yet). Does that count as YA?

Probably not. YA fiction generally deals with MC’s up to about 18; “new adult” includes MC’s from about 18 to 25 or so and allows more mature themes to be used in the story: think sex, drugs, and rock and roll, lol. You can still post your story here or in the literary fiction forum. Your choice. (I read all submissions in the YA fiction forum, few in literary fiction, so you might take into account who would be reviewing your story.)

Anonymous

Thanks. I’m thinking my protaganist might be a year younger, so 17-20. Would that be YA?
    Thanks a bunch!

robfp
    Participant

@Catwriter wrote:

Thanks. I’m thinking my protaganist might be a year younger, so 17-20. Would that be YA?
    Thanks a bunch!

Close enough. YA usually runs from about 13-18.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.