Writing for FUN

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

This summer, I plan to continue my newest hobby that I started last summer; writing and performing stand-up comedy at a local OPEN MIC NIGHT. My next appearance is May 22nd in H’town, and I’m looking forward to it. What kind of writing do you do just for FUN?

Anonymous

I got back into writing via fanfic. Still do it for fun – but at the same time, it was kinda “dead serious fun”. The fun was writing in the fandom I loved – but I didn’t want to put out crap either. I sweat just as much blood with that as I do my original stuff. 🙄

Anonymous

What’s that saying about invention? Oh yeah…

> Invention is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

Change “invention” to “creation,” and that saying is almost universally true.

No one that I know wants to create *anything* that’s poorly put together. It helps me a bit to think of it as a puzzle that I’m putting together. That adds a skosh of whimsy to the task.

Anonymous

Just write to write and I love doing it.

jIPPity
    Participant

Noizchild wrote:
    > Just write to write and I love doing it.

Same here. Writing for me is fun, and why would I do it if it were not fun? Life is too short to spend it doing something you don’t enjoy. I mean, sure, there are lots of life chores that are not fun at all–paying bills, loading and unloading the dishwasher, going to doctor’s appointments–but those things are necessary. Writing for me isn’t necessary in the same way. It’s something I WANT to do, because it’s fun. To be asked what I write for fun is a question that has no meaning for me. All my writing is for fun–or I wouldn’t do it.

–Warren

Anonymous

wdarcy wrote:
    > Noizchild wrote:
    > > Just write to write and I love doing it.
    >
    > Same here. Writing for me is fun, and why would I do it if it were not fun? Life is
    > too short to spend it doing something you don’t enjoy. I mean, sure, there are lots
    > of life chores that are not fun at all–paying bills, loading and unloading the
    > dishwasher, going to doctor’s appointments–but those things are necessary. Writing
    > for me isn’t necessary in the same way. It’s something I WANT to do, because it’s
    > fun. To be asked what I write for fun is a question that has no meaning for me. All
    > my writing is for fun–or I wouldn’t do it.
    >
    > –Warren

Preach!

Anonymous

Y’know… nothing is *always* fun. Well, almost nothing. But you know what *is* always fun?

That feeling of accomplishment.

Not everyone enjoys exercising, but the rush of reaching a new level, or of feeling healthy, that’s worth the drudgery to some.

Sometimes, writing, too, is drudgery. That scene that won’t come together. Or that story idea that won’t gel into a plot. That sentence that you KNOW isn’t right, but right won’t happen. Sometimes, your brain just ain’t in it.

But when I’ve typed “The End,” and there’s a whole story there, even one in need of work, that’s worth it all. Until I put it down on (proverbial or literal paper), it hadn’t existed before.

That’s a rush.

Anonymous

Any favorite stories to work on?

Anonymous

Noizchild wrote:
    > Any favorite stories to work on?
    I have a couple of experimental ones I toy with when the regular stuff isn’t coming.

One’s inspired by how we anthropomorphize our pets. They don’t see the world the way we see it. So while I believe they think and feel, how is it different from people? What about aliens with a totally different way of “seeing” the universe?

Another one trying to deal with the POV of a thing (a computer) that starts to gain self-awareness.

Anonymous

I have several myself.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

RobTheThird wrote:
    >
    > But when I’ve typed “The End,” and there’s a whole story there,
    > even one in need of work, that’s worth it all. Until I put it down on
    > (proverbial or literal paper), it hadn’t existed before.
    >
    > That’s a rush.

That’s a cool way of thinking about finishing a story. 🙂

Anonymous

I found a new way to edit my work and I like it!

Anonymous

Writing can be fun, but it is also work. That doesn’t mean writing can’t be interesting and challenging.

And having people read and enjoy your writing? That’s fun too. 😀

Anonymous

You can work fun, though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.