WD tribute to Paul Swearingen

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party WD tribute to Paul Swearingen

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  urworstnitemare 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

cypher
    Participant

Our new contact with WD magazine, Jessica Zafaris, contacted me recently. She had only just seen my request that our highly respected moderator, Paul Swearingen, be featured in an article in Writers Digest. She is looking for details about his personality, life experience and his work here on the Forum. I am sure many of you remember Paul with affection, and I hope that you will post reminiscences of his wry humor and helpful suggestions. Rosalie has already mentioned his famous suggestion for reviving a sluggish plot: Kick your protag down the stairs!

I have tried to contact Paul’s brother, Kim, but Kim lives overseas and I doubt whether my Facebook post will reach him. Do any of you know a better way, please?

Anonymous

Some time ago, I retrained my writing habits thanks to Paul’s oft-repeated mantra that one should strive to use “all right” rather than “alright”, even though the latter has become more colloquially acceptable these days. Now, every time I type “all right”, I’m fondly reminded of Paul.

cypher
    Participant

Thank you for the memory, cynicalwanderer. I’ll include it in my snippets to Jessica.

I received a reply from Paul’s brother, Kim, this morning. He didn’t have anything to add to his obituary that was posted on Facebook, but said he would like to read the tribute after Writers Digest publish it. I’ll make sure I send him a copy.

Anonymous

cynicalwanderer wrote:
    > Some time ago, I retrained my writing habits thanks to Paul’s oft-repeated
    > mantra that one should strive to use “all right” rather than
    > “alright”, even though the latter has become more colloquially
    > acceptable these days. Now, every time I type “all right”, I’m
    > fondly reminded of Paul.

I do too.

Anonymous

For years, Paul was the only voice we heard from Writers Digest. Through all the troubles with the functionality here, and the period when we’d sign on to find 40 PAGES of overnight spam. And he soldiered on, taking the time to delete every last thread…

We could report a post, and if we didn’t uncheck the option to hear back from WD, Paul made sure to respond. Even when I forgot I hadn’t unselected it.

Paul is the sole reason I kept giving this forum more chances to “get it right.”

Anonymous

It looks like I’ve missed a lot on here. Paul was a great mentor to me over the past few years. I hope all is well. 🙂

Anonymous

He hated hand sanitizer.

cypher
    Participant

I sent a collection of your comments to Jess yesterday, but she was out of the office, dealing with a personal emergency. I hope it is not too serious and that whatever has gone wrong, can be put right soon. Best wishes, Jess.

cypher
    Participant

Jess hopes to be able to compile the tribute sometime during the first full week of March.

I’ll keep you posted. 🙂

cypher
    Participant

FYI:

I checked with Jess yesterday, and received the following reply today:

Thanks for touching base, Dorothy. I began working on it, but was called away on a business trip for most of last week. However, it’s nearly complete, so I should be able to run it in the next few days.

I will keep you posted.

Anonymous

Not to be ungrateful for Jess’s efforts but WD should have processed this a long time ago. He donated his time and energy on WD’s behalf to assist writers with their struggles and successes. Somehow I doubt this delay would have occurred had there not be a mass exodus by the magazine’s employees. Obviously something is going on there. I genuinely hope that they are able to get situated soon.

I am eager to read what Jess has written. I’m also grateful that Dorothy (Oldtimer) devoted her time to pay tribute to our friend and mentor, Paul (pls).

cypher
    Participant

Rosedarling wrote:
    > Not to be ungrateful for Jess’s efforts but WD should have processed this a
    > long time ago. He donated his time and energy on WD’s behalf to assist
    > writers with their struggles and successes. Somehow I doubt this delay
    > would have occurred had there not be a mass exodus by the magazine’s
    > employees. Obviously something is going on there. I genuinely hope that
    > they are able to get situated soon.
    >
    > I am eager to read what Jess has written. I’m also grateful that Dorothy
    > (Oldtimer) devoted her time to pay tribute to our friend and mentor, Paul
    > (pls).

On Jess’s behalf, she didn’t come on board until after Brian Klems left, and she didn’t receive my request for a tribute until a few weeks ago. Since then she has done all she can to get the tribute out. Big pat on the back for her. 🙂

Anonymous

Really? It seems longer than a few weeks and I’m not upset with Jess. I know she just came on board. I just wonder why a magazine with a staff full of writers couldn’t put something together sooner for a man who spent years keeping the forum in order.

Anonymous

Probably because the folks at the magazine don’t really give a * about the forum or its members.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

pls (Paul) did quite a job considering it was an unpaid position, he took a professional approach to his work here.

And I’m glad Terry is back to take over the job again, he is another professional.

I didn’t know that many of the employees of Writer’s Digest have left, the magazine might be having money problems.

I hope they sort everything out because I don’t want this forum to close. 🙁

cypher
    Participant

Here is the link to the tribute to Paul that Jess has posted online at WD. I sincerely hope the link works, although I see that BBCode is off.

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/writers-perspective/writers-digest-news/remembering-paul-swearingen-unsung-hero-of-the-writers-digest-forums

I think Jess has done a very good job in the short time that she has known about my request for a tribute, and I would like to thank her on behalf of all Paul’s friends here.

debbieolch
    Participant

Paul was the kind of guy I wish lived down the road so I could visit and have a cup of coffee with him.

clareantoinette
    Participant

Thanks, Oldtimer, for sending the request in to Jess in the first place. Paul deserved recognition for all he did for WD and for us. I still have a hard time accepting he’s gone.

cypher
    Participant

Thank you, updog, but I can’t help feeling it is too little, too late. 🙁

Anonymous

Nice tribute, Jess. Thank you for taking the time to write about our friend and mentor.

Oldtimer, thank you for initiating this tribute to honor Paul.

I will fondly remember him every time I sit down to write.

urworstnitemare
    Participant

I haven’t been on the forum in quite some time, but joined ages ago when this place was hopping. Paul, JMar, Jowen, LilliesCarol, Oldtimer, KarenRankowitz, JaiJoshi, and many others whom I haven’t seen in ages.

Paul was always here, for all of us. Long before he had to fight his battle, long before the forum dwindled down, long before Life stepped in and took us down other roads.

He was a wonderful person, a good man, and a great mentor and friend. I had his picture on my phone when I read of his passing on fb. I’m thrilled WD did a summary of him and posted his picture – putting a face to the words of the man who helped so many. He was so strong and so generous; the planet has lost a good man.

I hope we can keep this forum going for him. I think he would like that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.