Toasting my Parents’ on their 50th Wedding Anniversary

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Toasting my Parents’ on their 50th Wedding Anniversary

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  debbieolch 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Last Saturday, my family and I celebrated my parents’ GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY by throwing them a surprise party at my house with lots of friends andfamily.
    Writing the toast was more challenging than I expected. I was trying to find the perfect words to express my thoughtsand feelings. And then I finally came to the conclusion that no matterwhat I said during my toast, my parents would simply appreciate the fact that I (along with thehelp of others) planned this party, 50+ of their long-time friends and family attended it, and I put together aslide-show of over 140 pics of them. Once I realized that, the toast was easy to write.

Without boring you all with the whole toast, I’ll boil it down to the followingkey points:

•I started with a few quotes about marriage, my favorite ofwhich is, “The Japanese have a word for it. It’s Judo – the art of conquering byyielding. The Western equivalent of Judo is, “Yes dear.” – JP McEvoy.

•Then I explained that we were NOT simply celebratingthat my parents decided to get married 50 years ago. We were also celebrating that they decidedEACH AND EVERY DAY over the past 50 years to stay together regardless if theywoke up sick or in good health, rich or poor, etc. Staying together half a century takes a hugecommitment, patience and lots of love, and I’m so proud they reached thisprecious milestone in their lives.

•I asked my parents the secret to being married a half-century and without missing a beat, my dad replied, “the secret is saying ‘Yes dear’ a lot!”

Everyone seemed to enjoy the toast and fun was had by all!

Anonymous

Congrats, my friend!

cypher
    Participant

That was a lovely, heartfelt toast, mikey, and I’m very glad it went down well.

debbieolch
    Participant

should have said that 50 years was a good start.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.