Tedx Talks and Other Motivation

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Tedx Talks and Other Motivation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

SilverTitan
    Participant

I’m in the middle of making major life changes that I’m seriously excited about. Part of that process is learning as much as I can about every stage of the writing process as it applies in 2018. Sorting the baloney from the brilliance; the truth from the hype. I want to learn about every opportunity 2018 offers. I understand the hardships, the difficulties, and the slim chances writers face for success. Got it. Duly noted. But, I refuse to concentrate on those things. I intend to pursue what I love and enjoy the entire process.

Part of how I’ve been doing this is by watching videos and grabbing useful advice and encouragement. My dream has always been to go through the traditional process to be published. For whatever reason, I can imagine the feeling of achievement that comes with it! Recently, I watched an interesting Tedx Talks video on YouTube called, “Book publishing confidential | Gary Smailes | TEDxLiverpool.” He discusses the typical author’s income in the publishing world. This is something I’ve never understood fully and when I’ve seen other writers attempt to question it (on other forums), they’re usually responded to with a bit of attitude about how they just don’t understand how publishing works and, if they want to be published, they’d better learn to just accept that they won’t make much money from it.

But this man, Gary Smailes, while explaining the author’s publishing house earnings, also challenges writer’s to have the courage to explore self-publishing and not “simply accept” the fate of being a broke writer who writes just because they love writing. Of course, there are pros and cons to everything. Successes and failures. Those are a given. As for me, I choose to focus on the opportunities and go for them with gumption, knowing full well the chances, odds, timing, and hard work required. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

If you watch this video, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it, whether good or bad! Personally, I found it very encouraging and plan to keep myself encouraged by watching similar videos. It sure beats beating up my dream by concentrating on the difficult parts!

cypher
    Participant

Just don’t spend so much time watching videos that you don’t get round to writing!!

Anonymous

The one thing one has to learn is the difference between hype and fact, and between advocacy and fact. This is my biggest problem with many self-publishing advocates. (Snobbery is my biggest problem with many trade advocates 😉 )

The writers who can live off their writing sans a ‘day job’ are few and far between, no matter which route one goes. Look at all claims, whether for trade or SP, with a critical eye. If anyone starts talking about huge successes, remember the bell curve. If someone starts talking about “easy”, remember the difference between publishing and publishing well. Don’t accept as fact that which bolsters your want-it-that-way. And always – ALWAYS – remember what your personal goals in writing are. Your research, decisions, and route to publishing should all be based on achieving those goals.

SilverTitan
    Participant

You both make very important, valid points. I’ve noticed, mostly on other forums, how easy it is to talk about writing instead of actually writing. Personally, I do well on a schedule, including the limiting of my time online.

I couldn’t agree more, ostarella. While I enjoy videos like this, I still don’t take any of them as gospel because everything is subjective. Just as there isn’t one right way to write, there is no “one plan fits all” when it comes to publishing, much less success. I grab onto the encouragement and advice that resonates with me when I watch videos like this. It’s exciting to see other opportunities that I’d never seen before!

The hard work and lack of promises of success are a given. It’s one of the few “sure things” about getting published. All the advice and encouragement has to stand alongside those facts.

Anonymous

Agents are in the business of both speculation and establishment. On one hand they are looking for the ‘next thing’ but on the other they are looking at writer’s who fit the success template of what’s out there. Nothing against successful thriller writers but once you’ve read Rollins or Thor, you’ve basically read them all. Same for someone like a Nora Roberts – my wife reads these and she says they are basically all the same thing. Dan Brown has a certain sameness as well. Then you have the originals like Stephanie Meyers, who despite what others may think about her, reinvigorated-reinvented the Vampire genre. Zombies in post apocalyptic novels has been a long and dull genre choice for representation. JK Rowling was a stunner and then every agent on the planet, seemingly, tried to copy that success. What’s my point? Good Luck. Go for the traditional, just like the rest of us. However, if that fails, as I have experienced, don’t turn away from self publishing – I have two books out that route and they have paid for some really nice vacations.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.