Superman

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  KublaiKhan 12 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Steven Goldsberry
    Participant

After watching “Superman Returns”, I was wondering, has the world stopped loving perfect heroes?

Superman is perfect. Save for “the radioactive pieces of his homeworld”. Can the world ‘take’ a perfect hero like Superman? Or does it prefer to the darker, with more internal conflict, hero like Batman?

What are your opinions on this matter?

Steven Goldsberry
    Participant

lkfort
    Participant

Spiderman is my favorite.  Something about my fear of spiders mixed with his mysterious spidey eyes… draws me in every time.  Yummy! 

Steven Goldsberry
    Participant

Spiderman is also one of my favorites, and part of Marvels move to create more flawed characters to attract more adieunces back when DC was king.

Another example in where people prefer to flawed characters that they can relate to.

On the other hand, the reason i enjoy Superman because i admire him. I awe at his powers, i wish i could be him, as good and pure as him. I wish i could rescue and have the power to protect people like him. I wish if i had the powers, i would so greedless and ‘right’ i would actually go save people instead of use it for my own cause.

I enjoy Spider man on a different level, although i do wish i could have his powers, when watching, I am more interested about what’s wrong with Peter Parker. When watching Superman, it’s always been a sense of wonder and i never wondered to myself why they didn’t make it more ‘realistic’, like they did Batman.

Anonymous

Superman is my favourite superhero. Something about that tight suit . . .
    But I do think the world has stopped loving the squeaky-clean superhero, because he just doesn’t seem real, and because he’s boring. Back in the days when movies were an hour and a half, watching the good guy save the day was all there was time to show. But three hours is a long time to watch the good guy. A little bit of an internal conflict makes things more interesting, and it makes us root for the good guy all the more, because he is more like us than like a good ole boy scout.

KublaiKhan
    Participant

Superman is by far the greatest superhero ever created, …”with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.” He is the ultimate good guy, and I would choose him over Batman any day. Batman has to depend on high tech gadgets; anyone wearing his suit could do the same thing. Spidey might be a runner-up with The Incredible Hulk for second place, although the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno combo made Hulk my favorite show for the short time it was a series.

Carol

Anonymous

That always bothered me about Batman! How can he be a superhero if he has no superpowers?

KublaiKhan
    Participant

You are so right! Batman should not be considered a superhero. Definitely a hero, but not a superhero.

The X-men are even better than Batman. My favorite is Wolverine—wow, is he adorable. Kind of like Clint Eastwood with more hair.:)

Zac
    Participant

Ames – 2006-07-25 10:51 PM

That always bothered me about Batman! How can he be a superhero if he has no superpowers?

Simple – he uses his intelligence and the vast resources of Wayne Enterprises to figure out what the bad guys are doing. That’s one thing I was so happy about Batman Begins getting right – Batman is a detective in a lot of ways. He investigates things, puts the clues together, and then brings the pain to the bad guys. Batman is hands down my favorite superhero and has been since I was a kid. Batman Begins is absolutely fantastic as both a Batman film and as a pure cinematic experience.

Superman I think can be boring because he truly is invincible. When he’s met a foe that was his equal then he had to think about it and come up with a different way of defeating the challenge versus picking them up and tossing them off into space. While I love the original two movies and highly enjoyed Superman Returns I don’t think he’s been truly challenged on film yet. The closest he’s come were the supervillains in Superman II.

I’d also like to take a moment to state for the record that I’m only passingly familiar with the comics of both characters but I’m a complete film fanatic. The result is I’m vastly more familiar with the movies which prompted me to brush up on the source material. 🙂

Shaunta
    Participant

After watching “Superman Returns”, I was wondering, has the world stopped loving perfect heroes?

We live in tough times.  Post-modernity made it wrong to think that any one particular thing is right (that means that other people are wrong!) and so perfection is indefinable. To claim any particular moral standard is correct is to impose your views on others.  In such a muddled context, the perfect hero is just inconceivable.  [/mini rant]

It’s all about the angst.  Heroes have to suffer.  Superman only faces the risk of little green rocks, his identity exposed, and having to deal with a romantic interest too stupid to recognize her beloved in glasses with a different ‘doo.  (This is said not having seen the new movie, because I’m too Superman-ed out for $7.50 plus the evil popcorn urge.  Why, oh why, can’t there be popcorn and non-popcorn theatres?  I wouldn’t want it if I didn’t smell it and hear everyone else eating it.)

Batman may not have super powers, but his reliance on gadgets makes it more plausible to think “Hey, with one of those spiffy grappling hooks and that cool cape…”  Quotha Batman Begins,  “I gotta get me one of those.”

Mikala Engel
    Participant

Superman has always been just a little too super for me. I’ll take Batman every time. Spiderman is good just because the character is so cool. I like Wolverine, but the rest of the X-men are cartoons.

The closer a super hero is to an ordinary man, the better I like him. Give me Batman, Captain America, and Green Arrow, and you can have Superman.

It’s not that I don’t like perfect heroes, it’s that I don’t like heroes who have so much power they really aren’t human.

writerscrawlz
    Participant

Jamesaritchie – 2006-07-26 11:21 AM

Superman has always been just a little too super for me. . . .
    The closer a super hero is to an ordinary man, the better I like him.

IMO, that is the key. Readers (or viewers, to a lesser degree) want to relate to the hero. Or at least to a major character. We can relate to Batman, he may be wealthy, but he is one of us. And Spidey and Wolverine have issues (Don’t we all?).

Don’t get me wrong, even super-Superheroes like Superman will have a following because they’re “good” or “right”. And when Superman was created the only (accepted, acknowledged) problem in the world was the rise of Axis powers with technology far superior to ours, the need for invincibility was paramount. But, as SK mentioned in his Dark Tower series “The world has moved on.” Actually, how about Roland Deschains as hero’s go?

It isn’t really as simple as it was then (It wasn’t simple then, but who knew?). It was a clearer and more straightforward time. Today’s heros need more depth, and some fallability to be believable.

Just adding my 2 cents.

-T

Kim Campbell
    Participant

I’ve never thought Superman’s all that great.  But, this “expanded universe” movie had me liking him far more.  I actually liked the fact that Superman was vulnerable and imperfect.  Sometime before he left, he obviously fornicated with Lois Lane.  While this is morally not a good thing, it shows that he is not morally perfect and makes him more human somehow.

But, my favorite has been and ever will be Spiderman!  He’s the little guy who was always big inside.  He’s human enough to make him vulnerable, but poweful enough to prevail over evil.

KublaiKhan
    Participant

Jamesaritchie – 2006-07-26 3:21 AM Superman has always been just a little too super for me. I’ll take Batman every time. Spiderman is good just because the character is so cool. I like Wolverine, but the rest of the X-men are cartoons. The closer a super hero is to an ordinary man, the better I like him. Give me Batman, Captain America, and Green Arrow, and you can have Superman. It’s not that I don’t like perfect heroes, it’s that I don’t like heroes who have so much power they really aren’t human.

I basically agree with what you say here. The difference to me is that the powers of Superman may be unbelievable, but his humanity is real. He sets a standard that is impossible to achieve but should be everyone’s goal: to be compassionate, honest, loyal and morally just. It is not his physical powers that make Superman my hero, it is the inner qualities that he portrays that attract me. Men like Batman act out of revenge, or some other less-than-perfect motive; Superman is perfection with a human core.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.