Structure question

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Tips and Advice Structure question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  margery65w 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Jack Taylor
    Participant

Ok, so the theories go that there’s the overall Plot Point/Pinch Point structure, and within that there is the Scene/Sequel structure and within that is more structure.

I’m doing a book with a main plot (call it plot A)and a couple of sub-plots (call them plot B, and plot C). The sub-plots are spread throughout the book in various sized chunks. BUT – Each of the sub-plots I’ve designed with the Plot Point/Pinch Point structure as a complete story in themselves. So… where do I put the B and C story points in relation to A’s story points?
    Is there a structure theory for that too or am I overthinking the whole thing?

Anonymous

I would think if this is your approach and conundrum then you may want to outline the story some. That will give you the blueprints to explore the structure you are driving for.

If you are trying to write more organically then the flow of the writing will dictate the importance of subplots – in my humble estimation.

Anonymous

JMHO – but you’re REALLY over-thinking this.

Read your favorite book. Find all the structural stuff. Diagram it if you wish. Pick it to pieces.

Now – does that change your enjoyment of the book? If you’re anything like most readers, you’ll forget all about the structure as you get into the story. That’s what you need to worry about when writing your book, whether you use an outline or write organically. Are your readers going to be pulled so deep into the story they forget everything else?

Don’t “place” your sub-plots. Weave them in. Where does it makes sense, in the overall story, for this part to come up, for that part to be mentioned? Follow the flow of the story, not some “formula” that says you should stick this here and that there.

margery65w
    Participant

AJReis wrote:
    > Ok, so the theories go that there’s the overall Plot Point/Pinch Point
    > structure, and within that there is the Scene/Sequel structure and within
    > that is more structure.
    >
    > I’m doing a book with a main plot (call it plot A)and a couple of sub-plots
    > (call them plot B, and plot C). The sub-plots are spread throughout the
    > book in various sized chunks. BUT – Each of the sub-plots I’ve designed
    > with the Plot Point/Pinch Point structure as a complete story in
    > themselves. So… where do I put the B and C story points in relation to
    > A’s story points?
    > Is there a structure theory for that too or am I overthinking the whole
    > thing?

I have seen some guides for noobs on doing subplots; but it seems that for experienced writers there are multiple ways to do it, not one fixed one that is ‘accepted’ as correct.

minervabarunga
    Participant

Generally speaking, one idea for subplot content placement would be where the narrative tension needs a boost, and where you would like the reader to ask questions about the characters and their involvement in the plot. Another subplot placement idea I frequently use is where content can show an additional important side to a character’s personality. For example, if a character flaw can be an important enhancement to the main plot, you can include the information about the character flaw when introducing the character, or when the character is interacting with others.

margery65w
    Participant

WD gives this advice with 7 ways to do subplots:
    http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/7-ways-to-add-great-subplots-to-your-novel

This one has ideas that build on WD’s list:
    https://www.novel-writing-help.com/subplots.html

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.