Specific Question Regarding Non Fiction Submissions

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum FAQs Specific Question Regarding Non Fiction Submissions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Unsheathed 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Unsheathed
    Participant

I have written lots of non-fiction pieces, including essays on political, social, aesthetic and cultural issues.

Very often, when I check the submissions guidelines of a periodical, they say that one should advise them of what subject one wants to write about. They do not ask for the article one has written.

However, I fear that if I were to ask them if they would like an article on issue A or issue B, they will AUTOMATICALLY DISMISS me from consideration because I am relatively unknown. I have been published before, but only sporadically and the last piece was published in 2013.

Accordingly, I want to send the periodical the entire essay as well. (They vary from 2 to 20 pages)

Is it acceptable for me to send an on-line journal the entire essay when they only ask for the subject of one’s proposed essay?

If the answer to the preceding question is no, I fear that I have no hope of getting a response to my queries because I am scarcely known. However, if they were to read the article, they might be impressed with some of my ideas (Sorry if I seem egotistical.)

I will appreciate your ideas and assistance.

Thanks.

ostarella
    Participant

You send what they ask for unless you want that automatic rejection you fear. The fact that you are relatively unknown – most best-selling authors were unknown at one point – shouldn’t dissuade you from submitting.

Not sending the entire article does not preclude you from ‘selling’ the ideas or viewpoint you will present in said article, of course. You wouldn’t just say “My article is about mad-cow disease. Thank you for your consideration.” 😉

[Wish there was a preview for these replies…]

ostarella
    Participant

Since I can’t seem to edit these posts now…

You send what they ask for unless you want that automatic rejection you fear. The fact that you are relatively unknown – most best-selling authors were unknown at one point – should not dissuade you from submitting.

Not sending the entire article does not preclude you from ‘selling’ the ideas or viewpoint you will present in said article, of course. You wouldn’t just say “My article is about mad-cow disease. Thank you for your consideration.” 😉

Unsheathed
    Participant

Ostarella,

Thanks for the comments

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.