Self-Published Book Award (Printed/Bound) – Question

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Self-Publishing – Tips & Discussion General Questions & Discussions Self-Published Book Award (Printed/Bound) – Question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  margery65w 1 month ago.

• Author

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

Hi there,

Has anyone paricipated in this competition?

I am thinking of doing so, but I am not sure whether I fulfill the requirements, even after studying the FAQs. I have sent Writer’s Digest an email with my question but I have not received a reply yet.

So I am (obviously) a self-published author, currently offering e-books and printed books for sale on Amazon, therefore I have not paid anything for the printing process. However, in the FAQ it is stated that “The competition is open to all English-language self-published books for which the authors have paid the full cost of publication, or the cost of printing has been paid for by a grant or as part of a prize”.

Can I still participate when I let my book being printed as a bound copy through an independent printing company? This way I still paid the full cost of publication.

Thank you for your help!

Anonymous

Good question. I could be wrong, but I read, “paid the full cost of publication” to mean that the author created the book (e.g., hired and paid a cover designer to create the cover, hired and paid the graphic designer to format the interior and convert the book to eBook, hired and paid an editor for copyediting, etc.). If you did that, it means you are self-published in my eyes. On the other hand, if you signed a contract with a traditional publisher and the traditional publisher hired and paid those vendors to create the book, then you are NOT self-published. I hope that helps.

sherryherrod263
    Participant

The requirement seems pretty vague. What are/is the full cost of publishing? Does the author have to pay an editor rather than edit their own work? Same for cover design, or any other part of the process of publishing – why pay someone else if a.) the author can do a credible job or b.) a p.o.d. printer is paid directly by the retail customer?

Not arguing with mikeyboy_esq, just asking some pertinent questions about the requirement. Actually, I agree with his assessment – if an author hasn’t paid thousands of dollars up front to other people, her/his work is not eligible for the contest. Makes one feel the winner will be the one who pays the most, whether to contractors or those running the contest.

If WD ever deigns to reply to your email, I’d love to know what they say.

margery65w
    Participant

I.W. wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Has anyone paricipated in this competition?
    >
    > I am thinking of doing so, but I am not sure whether I fulfill the
    > requirements, even after studying the FAQs. I have sent Writer’s Digest an
    > email with my question but I have not received a reply yet.
    >

AFAIK you can enter.
    WD considers almost any vanity press to be self publishing these days.

I would like to see their official answer but bet they just mean you were not published traditionally especially if you got an advance.

Now here they indicate for ebooks that the publisher must have less than 12 books published ruling out most vanity presses.
    http://www.writersdigest.com/writers-digest-competitions/self-published-ebook-awards

Here it indicates you have to pay the cost of printing. Does not mention other expenses which you could diy.
    http://www.writersdigest.com/writers-digest-competitions/self-published-book-awards

Both seem to require a fee to enter.
    So counter intuitive that they would care about how you got published except to narrow it to ‘self publishing’ of some kind.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.