Results of my 2017 Amazon Ads

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Tips and Advice Results of my 2017 Amazon Ads

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

In case my fellow indie authors are curious how well AMS ads perform, below are the results of the ads I bought for my 2 nonfiction books in 2017.

Of the 733 total books that I sold last year, about 1/3rd of them came from AMS ads (Sponsored Products). AMS ads for my 1st book (about college teaching tips) resulted in more royalty income than I spent on the ads, while AMS ads for my 2nd book (a self-publishing guide) cost more than I earned in royalties. Overall, I broke even on my AMS ads for 2017. Even though these ads didn’t end up making $, I’m so glad I bought them b/c I ended up selling 253 more books last year than I otherwise would have without these ads. That means 253 more readers who can (hopefully) spread the word about my books and leave online reviews.

Also, I think my 2017 results are slightly skewed due to the learning curve I experienced for the first few ads that I bought. As I watched the results of my first AMS ads, I slowly tweaked the keywords and bid prices to make them more effective. In other words, my current AMS ads produce more sales per dollar spent as compared to my first few ads. In summary, I’m happy with the overall performance of these ads for my 2 books and plan to continue running them in 2018.

NOTE: There are 2 types of AMS ads, and I also tried AMS ads (Product Display) in late 2017 and they resulted in very few clicks and ZERO sales. I’m not a fan of the Product Display ads.

Anonymous

My Amazon Ads produced little. Facebook Ads on the other hand are pretty successful.

Anonymous

Brien Sz wrote:
    > My Amazon Ads produced little. Facebook Ads on the other hand are pretty
    > successful.

Brien,
    Thanks for the feedback. It’s good to hear what ads are effective for folks and which ads are not effective. My FB ads have had very little impact on sales as far as I can tell. I wonder if the difference between your ad experience and mine is that my books are nonfiction and yours are fiction. Or maybe it could be other factors, like how crowded our books’ genres are, how many other AMS and FB ads are already running in those genres at the same time as our ads, etc. I guess there are really way too many factors to consider now that I think about it.

Anonymous

You find what works and stick with it until it doesn’t stick anymore.

Anonymous

Brien Sz wrote:
    > You find what works and stick with it until it doesn’t stick anymore.

I agree! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.