Ready, Willing and Able to Reciprocate

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Ready, Willing and Able to Reciprocate

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jackie O 8 months ago.

• Author

Jackie O
    Participant

I am a writer, but only a small proportion of my stuff has been published.

Although I write different sorts of things (non fiction essays, poems, fiction and memoir-like 20 to 30 page essays), my essays are the only things that have been published. (My essays are critques on social, political and other phenomena)

Perhaps I should concentrate on my non fiction essays.

My published stuff made it way into print, and websites, by accident: I just sent essays to journals that I thought might be interested in same and it worked.

But in the great majority of cases, I just get rejections.

I have heard that one should submit a query letter, asking a periodical if they would like an article on XYZ.

I AM CONFUSED ABOUT QUERY LETTERS.

Most of my stuff is already written. (Indeed, I just put together a two volume set, over 500 pages long, of some of my essays.) I can’t ask them, in a query letter, if they would like me to write something that has already been written.

And I am reluctant to send out query letters because a) I fear they would say, “Who the hell are you, get lost,” and b) at the risk of sounding egotistical, I think the primary value of the essays is N0T THEIR LITERARY SKILL BUT RATHER THEIR IDEATIONAL ORIGINALITY AND CREATIVITY. Ideas are not given copyright protection. So I can send essay A to B publisher and he can arrange for his friend, C, to write an article using my idea and C’s words.

I hope the preceding doesn’t make me sound full of myself.

I am extremely willing to reciprocate if people can help me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.